My thoughts on the way that Series X is launching

Opinion: Launch won’t matter as there’s no big damage being done. It’s really people complaining because they don’t have all the information that they usually have at this point in time. Consoles will sell out, services will still do well, and MS will be making money.

2 Likes

Yeah that was weird. What was the original again? That was a lot more non-clickbait as far as I remember

it was originally “xbox is in trouble”

Then it was change to

“My issues with how the Series X is launching”

And now its been changed to

“Opinion: Series X launch is in trouble”

Its weird that it was changed for a 2nd time. Oh well OP is wrong anyway and xbox will do great despite what it says.

1 Like

This is a fantastic post. The fact of the matter is that we are much, much too close to this to see the big picture. We’re hyper-enthusiasts, laser-focused on the state of the industry and every single move and “insider leak” is scrutinized and dissected and held up as a masterstroke or a fatal fumble. We are the most engaged and excited customers by a long shot, but we are absolutely NOT representative of the mass market.

I think that Microsoft are taking the long view by making plays that won’t yield immediate results and are trying to occupy as much space as possible so that when the general public pays attention, they can’t help but notice. I don’t have a shred of financial or economical knowledge but to me, that seems like a better strategy than trying to appeal to die-hards who will buy your box no matter what at launch.

The Xbox One launch was incredibly damaging, I think. Anecdotally, I was crazy about my 360 but the Kinect, the always online, the used games thing, the high price, it all turned me off so hard that I went with the PS4 and didn’t even hear about the great course corrections Microsoft made until earlier this year despite being a video game enthusiast. I took a gamble on Game Pass and now I’m fully on-board.

I believe that my experience isn’t that atypical and that they’re hoping to get a lot of groundswell with this massive new strategy. Providing the option of high specs and price or lower and affordable, monthly payments plan, the amazing twin factors of Game Pass being both a fantastic value AND marketing tool, even removing the hardware barrier to entry with PC releases and xCloud.

In the future where you can just send a URL or whatever to your friend and they can jump into a game with you on one of dozens of devices, nobody will care that the Xbox Series X launched without Halo Infinite. This has the potential to ensnare the non-gamers in a way that I’m sure has every games industry executive salivating. These moves can, in my opinion, entirely upset the paradigm of gaming and it’s Microsoft’s fortune to lose.

5 Likes

Why can’t I name the thread I want it to be?

I don’t know what your problem is, I’m happy for people to discuss and disagree with me, as I think I’ve shown? We’re all grown ups, I’m allowed to say that my opinion is that the launch is in trouble, aren’t I?

Have you even read the thread since you last accused me of trolling?

I’ve had some good discussion today with people who have disagreed with me. I think it’s healthy!

The original title was: Today it hit me: Xbox is in real trouble

a direct reference to this other thread title: Today it hit me: Xbox is on the precipice of something huge (AKA the potential in Game Pass both as a service, and as a system seller)

Are you really so thin skinned that every topic has to blindly praise things? Just ignore the thread if you don’t like it?! Plenty of other people seem to be capable of having reasonable discussion here.

Out of respect for the poster of that thread, I didn’t try and argue with him in his thread, I made my own. Kindly grant me the same consideration and stop accusing me of trolling and let this thread be about the discussion, not your reservations about the title.

You can, but how would you feel if I was like

“This thread is in trouble”

What? That doesn’t even make sense. It’s really popular! You can’t stay away from it for a start.*

*:wink:

Honestly man, the quicker you get used to the idea that people can like things but be critical, the better. I’m not attacking you.

Perhaps you should listen to your own advice, here I am criticising the thread title (more so at to why it was changed again) and you are doing the things you’re accusing me of.

I don’t understand why I can’t say that in my opinion the Xbox Launch is in trouble. I’ve laid out fair and reasonable arguments and replied in good faith to those who have argued with me, why is that a problem? The topic title has the same meaning as “my issues with the xbox launch” which you don’t have a problem with but because I’ve changed it to something more in common with a journalistic piece you start calling me a troll. Thanks a lot!

The title is not even that relevant to your OP, Your main points are: gamepass is not a system seller because it does not have killer apps to attracked people.

“Xbox is in trouble” is like some click bait headline on my Google news feed. Whats the point in having a very general and negetive title?

A more relevant title would be “xbox needs killer apps”

But even then, thank you captain obvious, xbox needs great AAA games, but theres one problem games take time, at least we know games are in the works from many talented developers, hopefully they will be great :slightly_smiling_face:

I have no problems criticising xbox, but all criticisms have been addressed ad nauseam.

Xbox lacks AAA games of some genres? A: they bought several devs who have announced many games of AAA + AA budgets or varing genres

Xbox is weak hardware?: A: 1X + series are beasts

Xbox has slow OS? Not anymore.

I’m not going to reply to you anymore. If you can’t be civil and reasonable, there is no point. Just because I phrase things in a way you don’t like, it doesn’t warrant this repeated attempt to frame me as a troll.

We have those threads every week now… Don’t be surprised by the reactions. It’s just tiring, because there is not much to discuss, and what there is to discuss had already been discussed to death. Ultimately, even if it’s a genuine opinion, it sounds like concern trolling, FUD. That’s my opinion.

I answer your question with legitimate reasoning and facts you falsly accuse me of not being cival or reasonable? Ok… What exactly is not cival or reasonable?

Rather then keep on accusing me of framing you, I think you would get a lot more respect by addressing my points, the fact that you dont reflects poorly on you as a poster.

Thanks for filling me in, I just signed up here and was not aware that this was a big problem. I hadn’t even heard of this place a couple of weeks ago.

I don’t know why the topic doesn’t just get ignored, I can understand if you’d seen it all before, but why bump it to the top of the list!? As I’ve said repeatedly, I’ve had some good back and forth with people, I haven’t derailed other threads, etc. It’s hardly the trolling that I’m getting accused of.

Yeah I mean, it’s fair. Like I said I was just offering an anecdote. To answer your question just since it’s interesting to think about, among my close friends who play games:

• four already had Xboxes
  • one started with Xbox one after being a huge 360 guy, but then switched to PS4 when it became evident PS4 was gonna be the default system. He’d be a good target customer for MS.
  • one has only ever been PS+Nintendo and I doubt game pass can change that

So then that leaves the two who bought it for game pass. One had a PS4 but sold it for the Xbox, one had no systems but had previously owned Xbox consoles. Both of them were sold on the idea of playing multiplayer with the rest of us across this huge shared collection of games, so it was definitely partly network effects in addition to GP overall value. They liked the idea of just getting “all the games” so to speak and being able to play solo, with their kids etc. as well for one price.

1 Like

Finally someone reasonable!

Im personally excited the series X being like the 1x

Honestly, you are being a bit… much.

1 Like

Yeah i probably am, but its not like carpenters insinuation is really a positive contribution.

Its just frustrating when I spend the time to do a long post explaining my position, for only to be replied with none of my points being addressed but rather just be accused of things with no reasoning. Oh well, its all out there for posters to see.