Opinion: Microsoft is at it's best when it's not trying to copy Sony

This and because PS is very popular it is a big boon for some side cash and to pump up their Azure stats. They get to brag about Xbox and Playstation hits using Xcloud/PSNow on Azure.

Exactly. To sell systems and Game Pass subs, they need to include a huge variety of genres, including those that Sony targets. The awesome thing here is we might get the most diverse lineup from a console manufacturer since Sega and the Dreamcast.

3 Likes

While I agree, Iā€™m not sure I recall Ms ever trying to copy Sony tbh. That was one of the reasons I was drawn to the brand.

The closest we got was xbone post plan changes and kinect death for a while it become just an weaker ps4, but they rectified it sooner rather than later.

And Iā€™m also very happy that despite pretty much the whole industry pushing them to just copy the Sony games they never caved and always tried to put their own take into the games they make.

2 Likes

Agree with this. Sonyā€™s had their E3 of dreams where they won over fans with Shenmue 3 and Last Guardian. Those are 2 games meant more on paper as announcements than they meant at release. I remember Seamus Blackley talking about that after the conference saying that Microsoft still hadnā€™t learned that (which to be fair was when Myerson was still pulling strings). Thereā€™s something about fan service games where the impact of pleasing a vocal minority helps shape the mindshare around the brand. Canā€™t measure the value of those games in a vacum based on their sales alone.

If Microsoft announced Banjo, Mech Assult and Killer Intinct at their next live conference, I believe the pop theyā€™d get would be one of the highest in years. Game Pass makes all of it more viable so hopefully itā€™s just a matter of time.

The best thing thatā€™s happened in the last 2-3 years have been all 3 of the major platform holders differentiating themselves like never before. Even as an ā€œenthusiastā€ who have gotten all systems the past few gens, Itā€™s much better and way easier to justify being part of all ecosystems when this is the case (at least when itā€™s meaningful differentiation). It also makes up for the fact gaming has seen consolidations and contractions in platforms over the last decade (sony bowing out of handhelds, nintendo merging their handheld and home console business, PC and console gaming becoming more and more similar)

Mech Assault? Alan Wake 2, my dude, Alan Wake 2.

By the way, that Killer Instinct announcement of dreams happened at E3 2013, after years and years of KI3 teases. It didnā€™t really move the needle all that much. Crackdown 3, same thing. Phantom Dustā€¦ Well, we all know how that went down. Fable is another one of those announcements. Battletoads. Age of Empires. Flight Simulator. Halo Infinite going back to the seriesā€™ roots. It canā€™t be said that MS hasnā€™t tried catering to fans. But announcements alone are not enough, they need to be followed by well executed games.

1 Like

Yes, MS needs to throw a bone to itā€™s hardest core fans. A Banjo, Crimson Sky, Lost Odyssey or Blinx games would be something the fans can rally around. Those games probably will not make big profit but it would be great fan service.