Obvious Opinion- Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI will be the two most important games released via the Microsoft-Bethesda Merger

This opinion is likely incredibly obvious but I think it is one worth discussing. I believe that Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI will be the two most important games that come out of this merger, at least for the foreseeable future.

Starfield, which is rumored to release this year, will likely be the first game post merger and has a chance to be a massive success and begin Xbox’s journey from platform devoid of “exclusives” to a powerhouse of exclusive games.

Not much is known about Starfield, but like with all BGS games, it will be massive, drive all attention to itself, and be a must play game. Having that game for the Xbox platform will be something that Kickstarts what is hopefully a great generation of games from Xbox.

The Elder Scrolls VI will be releasing sometime in the next 2-5 years, meaning it will be the first game in the series since Skyrim in 2011. The Elder Scrolls is truly one of the most popular series in any media form, and this game will be an event like so few other games are. This game will get a massive marketing push, will be tied to GamePass, will likely see its own exclusive console designs, and more.

So, this opinion is obvious, but It is hard to overstate how important these two games are for Xbox. Do you agree? Are there any other Bethesda games you see being equally or more important? Comment below!

9 Likes

I agree output from Bethesda Game Studios will define this acquisition. Their WRPGs are normally genre-redefining. It’s hard to find games with more impact than Oblivion, Fallout, and Skyrim and the sheer audience these games demand is as large and influential as any in gaming.

Starfield is a perfect starting point for Xbox and Bethesda.

I don’t see others as being equally important because of these games’ scale.

5 Likes

Hard to argue with this. Imagine the impact if Skyrim or Fallout 3 had been Xbox 360 exclusives.

2 Likes

No kidding. I mean Fallout 4 sold 12 million in a couple of days. Thats bigger then Spider-man, The Last of Us 2 and god of war 2018 combined with a couple of million left over. Bigger than Animal Crossing

And Fallout 4 less of a big deal then The Elder Scrolls

And thanks to gamepass, the first 20 million copies are already sold.

3 Likes

Yep, BGS games are bigger than most games released. AND Xbox gets 7 other studios.

1 Like

I’d go even further and say they’ll probably be the most important games in all of XGS this generation, because how big they are and being multiplat they have a huge pull of all games not just Xbox (another reason why they should be exclusive).

I have a gut feeling Starfield is going to be a huge hit and I think a large chunk of why MS went ahead with the deal (not the only reason obviously) is because they could lock it down as a Xbox exclusive, plus get an amazing range of IP and studios. The way Phil and co keep mentioning Starfield every single time Bethesda is brought up makes me think this is the case.

Do we know if Starfield is next gen exclusive only? if it is maybe this is going to be the first game that truely showcases the hardware when it launches.

I know we know almost nothing about Starfield but it is my most hyped XGS game (even edging out Halo ever so slightly) coming up. I’m a huge space fan and all the scifi space stuff so this seems like a dream for me. I can’t wait to see more!

1 Like

Yep. Studios like Arkane, id & Machine are obviously wonderful additions to the first-party lineup but I don’t think anybody would disagree that Bethesda games are the ones that will have the biggest impact.

Starfield is going to be a monster & I can’t wait.

Agreed. I think this + Halo + Forza Horizon + FlightSim + various A and AA quality exclusives leading into the holidays + more promotion of 2022 games will put lots of folks in the headspace of viewing Xbox as a ‘suddenly amazing platform for exclusives’.

I think wrt TES6 the draw will be the potential use of ML to really set Xbox apart and radically innovate npc’s and side quests using that and the cloud. I think there are gonna be other games in the meantime doing that stuff though too.

1 Like

It’s very true and pretty anti-climactic; I’ll probably like 20+ games more than both of those this gen, but unless you’re GTA, Minecraft, or Mario, nothing else compares to a Skyrim sequel.

1 Like