New Xbox external storage expansion from WesternDigital

100% agree!! In fact I know someone where I live that it’s taking advantage of this, he is charging $60 bucks for replacing the ssd of the PS5 of many that are not tech savvy.

1 Like

MS said this would happen before the console was even out. But for some reason, a lot people thought they were lying. Pandemic probably massively pushed things back though.

4 Likes

Meh. Not buying this at all lol. It was a bad bet.

1 Like

I will pick ease of use over price 99% of the time, I will not open my PS5 because I’ve heard horror stories of fucking up the SSD swap.

6 Likes

I dont think what is or isn’t the best choice really matters. Id be willing to bet the subset of users that care enough to buy expanded storage is so exceedingly small, that it makes almost no difference. MS assuredly has the data on the number of customers that use extra storage at all, and made choices accordingly.

The average user doesn’t install 60 games at a time.

I am a pretty hardcore user, and I probably own more games than any five average users combined, and despite buying the 1TB drive, I rarely even utilize the expanded storage. I might have 10 things installed at any given time.

And while anecdotal, I don’t personally know a single other person who has bought the expanded storage or needed it. Out of roughly 10 or so family/friends/acquaintances who own Series consoles.

6 Likes

And cold storage exists ! I know I know, we are all about SSD now, but if you’re really savvy, you can use you’re whatever number of TB HDD to store your games if you want to keep them installed.

To be honest, I always forget about that option while deleting games…

1 Like

You mean a regular HDD for BC games? I still plan to get a 1 or 2 TB SSD solely for BC. Since the loading times differences are so small compared to internal.

I had all my OG Xbox/360 games on a 4TB external (~300 games) and it only used roughly 1TB.

After I upgraded my internet and can download older stuff in a few minutes. I just repurposed the drive.

1 Like

You can store Series X|S games on a HDD, just not play them from there, but it can help if you don’t want to redownload games all the time. I always forget about that feature, but it may be useful to some.

2 Likes

I fully understand what he’s saying because I used to work technical support, and you won’t believe how inept people are with the simplest tasks.

I fully agree with what you’re saying because at the end of the day you can go on youtube to figure out how to swap drives on PS5. I think options are great and would’ve been nice if Series X/S had option to swap drive, and provide the option of current method.

Anyways, I think people willing to swap drives or expand it are savvy enough to swap it out because I don’t think the average consumer is looking to do that

1 Like

5 Likes

Yep. That’s why I’m not buying that weak excuse lol.

I get the logic behind it, I just don’t think it’s justifiable enough. Just give the consumers more options. I doubt there’s even 1% of the console base who actually buys these SSD drives, that 1% are either hardcore/tech savvy consumers.

1 Like

I have 2 SSD’s hooked up to my Series X and also have the expansion card. I disagree with people in how SONY’s option is better at all. I get it for the price, but I have 2 expansion cards and its much easier swapping them, compared to the SONY sou expansion card where you need to power off the console and open it up

Price is an issue mind and MS need to sort that out and hopefully the likes of Samsung will follow WD

2 Likes

1 Like

I’m just a gamer mate and in the age of Gamepass and PS+ one needs lots of storage and owning TVs is also hardly a rich man’s game these days

2 Likes

tenor

Yeah having a cheap HDD as cold storage is a great feature that a lot of people ignore. I have an old hybrid 750gb Seagate HDD hooked to my SX just for 360/OG Xbox/indie games and it works fine for me (though I have a good internet connection too). :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve got two 12 TB WD Blacks and an SSD hooked up to my two mains, in addition to the Seagate expansion card. Games aren’t getting smaller :confused:

3 Likes