My thoughts on the way that Series X is launching

When im playing the 9 launch games that im looking forward to on the Xbox Series X, I will let you know if their launch is in trouble. My two month early answer is a massive no. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How many changes on the thread title are we expecting to see?

I mean, there was just another one.

cc @Sikamikanico

2 Likes

What do you mean by exclusive AAA ? The Medium is exclusive I think and AAA. That’s one. Do you mean first party ? Yes, there is not a really good first party game juggernaut like Halo or Gears or even Forza. It is what it is… I’m disappointed too, but like I said in another thread, we can’t only rely on big AAA games anymore. They are so far in between. I maybe played two this year…Doom Eternal and Resident Evil 3 Remake that I bought day one…That’s it. Maybe I’ll add 3 Yakuza games and Ace Combat 7 via gamepass, but that’s a year old game and ports.

The vast majority of games I played are small games, indies, GAAS, remasters, last year multiplayer games. And I will continue to play them on Series X, that’s why BC is really important this time. At least for me.

Not to single you out, I was just making my point.

AAA are important and Xbox is not in a good position at launch in that regard, but they have BC and enhancements and impactful games that could still bring the attention they need until the next year big push.

And Cyberpunk 2077. Don’t forget that the best way to play the GOTY is on Series X, folks ! It’s the RDR2 on Xbox One X scenario once again ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

AAA is hard to quantify but I think most people would consider The Medium AA. It’s also, I believe, a timed exclusive not a full exclusive.

Microsoft have been saying that they’ve got the first AAAA studio, so that’ll be interesting to see what that’s all about!

1 Like

Yeah, I think for existing Xbox owners, BC is a major perk. I never thought it was of much importance but this gen, I’ve revisited quite a lot of games from 360 and enjoyed them more than I thought I might.

I will say that I think The Medium could be AAA. I don’t really care. Gears Tactics is AAA and I don’t care either. I only care if it is a good game and has value. That’s what really matter.

And no one take the term AAAA seriously… it is only used internally at Microsoft. So what is your point ?

Can we please stop changing the name of the thread

2 Likes

Well, that the number of As is a fairly meaningless term, that was my point. Sorry it wasn’t clearer.

Triple A normally means that a layer of polish is evident that comes with a huge budget and lots of staff, but there’s not a banding where you get told that if they have 10 more employees they’ll be triple A or something! That’s why I say its a sort of meaningless term. Looking at Bloober Team’s previous releases, I’m not sure they would be what most people would consider AAA, but I guess they might have scaled up a bit more now.

No beef!

BTW, here’s someone else talking about making a AAAA game: https://screenrant.com/dead-space-creator-next-game-striking-distance-studios/

Looks like AAAA could be everywhere soon!

I changed it at the request of @Sikamikanico

Huh, I’m surprised I missed it. If anyone else missed them, here they are.

1 Like

You’re incoherent and hard to follow…And you prove my point. And there is no AAAA games…

“delay the hardware even if it’s ready” will never make sense to me. I don’t want to keep playing games on these 2013 mediocre at the time CPU’s.

5 Likes

The Initiative’s game will be AAAA.

But what does it mean ? We already have big big games like RDR2 and soon Cyberpunk 2077. They still are AAA.

This is a marketing term. It is used to inform the retailers which game has a big marketing campaign and has to be upfront and center inside the store.

Don’t set ourselves for disappointment with that AAAA thing. It has been mentioned on a joblisting from Microsoft, that is correct, but The Initiative has said that they want to stay small and agile. That doesn’t sound right to me.

Folks, there was a job listing that said “AAAA” related to the Initiative. That’s it. MS has basically said they wished that had never been put out there. They have certainly not been hyping The Initiative or their game as beyond existing top-end AAA titles.

2 Likes

Looking at the thread multiple name changes

doc-rivers

ok added a more reasonable picture this time.

Why did I add a picture? Because not having one triggers my OCD when browsing the forum on a desktop

They were really depending on 343 and Halo Infinite for launch and without it, they have to scramble to make something out of nothing. Simple as that.

The thing is, with everyone starved for next gen news they will be able to trot out news/games/etc to the beat of a drum in the 6 weeks or so leading into launch. All this horrible waiting will be forgotten and the hype will be real. I hope. :slight_smile:

I’d guess it was meant to reflect an abnormally high amount of contracting for the game. There were rumors that their game was being outsourced in terms of a lot of the content and that they way they were doing it was something kinda new to the industry iirc. I think having a (growing) core team of design leads with a bunch of contracted support studios could let them be ambitious but also keep the fundamental design decisions in the hands of the grizzled veterans.