Microsoft Internal Roadmap Points to Breakout Year for 1st Party and Game Pass

I’m of the same opinion as @TavishHill here. Halo Infinite interrupted the growth of FH5 to an extent, but that was shortlived and Forza is doing a hell of a lot better than Halo since that temporary bump in the road.

1 Like

That was my point though, it might have a short term impact but it’s nothing to the extent where it’s negativity impacting a game. Especially when it comes to a live service platform like FH5.

Within a month in 2022, FH5 was doing better than Infinite despite Infinite being a free game and coming out after FH5.

Single player games though ? That might be a different story, we’ll find out soon enough.

2 Likes

In the launch window and during a holiday season when all eyes were on FH5, having the spotlight taken off def hurt it long term. It can still do amazingly well longer term (and has been) but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t have been even larger without that interruption in attention.

I don’t really think it will happen again either way since I suspect MS aims to space things out slightly better. Halo was kinda a special case and was needing to put stuff out for ppl to play the second it was ready.

We’ll just have to disagree then. I don’t believe that’s possible when you’re dealing with games that launch and stay in a subscription service. By it’s very definition, FH5 will continue to keep growing as long as Gamepass grows. Halo isn’t impacting it’s long term success at all.

2 Likes

You have said in the past how a good percentage in the gaming media don’t even know what is happening on Xbox because they don’t play on Xbox and you are so right about this one, that’s why the vast majority of sites and podcasts need to have an informed Xbox player in their teams. A lot of people live in their PS branded bubble…I guess the situation will improve over time once the Xbox release schedule/software library becomes stronger and stronger as we get deeper into the generation.

6 Likes

I’m the same way wrt Nintendo stuff, tbf. I literally dunno anything at all about their releases unless I randomly see someone else mention them. They could have the best yeare ever and I’d never know, ha.

4 Likes

Completely agree. I’d even take it a step further and say if you are a console gaming journalist and can’t be bothered with owning a Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox then you are a fraud. (Maybe the key exception being that you openly specialize in one of the brands.)

4 Likes

It’s how it’s usually is. You’re locked into your ecosystem and don’t really care about what the others are doing unless you keep up with all gaming news.

I was on the PS4 for all of last gen and had no clue what Gamepass was until I saw that Alanah Pearce video on gamepass.

2 Likes

This is absolutely true.

I didn’t even know God of War and Uncharted existed as long-running franchises until around 2018 or 2019. My hometown (family, friends, school mates, etc.) was definitely dominated by Nintendo and Xbox. PS2 was the exception, but that was mostly used for DVDs, GTA and other third-party games. I knew one person with a PS1, and I thought Mario 64 was way better than Spyro - still do ;). Anyone who happened to have a PS3 didn’t participate in online gaming because everyone else was playing CoD4, Halo 3, etc. on Xbox 360.

1 Like