Microsoft Internal Roadmap Points to Breakout Year for 1st Party and Game Pass

Not spacing things out? 2 RPGs in the same year?

Simply not possible :doubt:

2 Likes

I remember he mentioned 2023 only

Not having a contrived spacing out of titles is great to me, although I still do expected at least 2 or 3 months between somewhat similar first party titles to be a thing.

Also I’ll keep beating this drum forever, in today’s social media environment, no game, not even a new IP, needs more than a month of a pre-release marketing barrage.

8 Likes

Yep.

With Psychonauts 2, FH5, Flight Simulator and Halo Infinite last year they showed it can work fine that way. It was only a few months in between. And I would say this includes a RPG too. But maybe they have a few more months for that. I’d be fine with that.

Personally I will be fine all year next year once Starfield releases.

3 Likes

Same. It’s still the only game next year I’m really excited about. There’s a lot of games releasing but so far nothing outside of Starfield I would buy day one.

Looking at the list of stuff that releases on Game Pass next year, it looks great with a very diverse line up so that’s nice. There are a bunch of games I will check out for sure, but not much in the omgwtfIneedthis-category.

I hope for one more big game next year in that category for me and I’m good. I have better stuff in my backlog lol.

1 Like

Exactly! Starfield and the rest can bust, haha. But in the unfortunate (but absolutely possible) scenario that Starfield does get pushed to holiday 2023…we’ll have all the time in the world for the smaller fry.

I don’t know about what is set to come next year but grubb was the one saying early in the year he heard we were not getting much outside of starfield and redfall.

As I know on his older show people would ask a lot about releases and he was saying this year across the board was going to be very light

1 Like

Yeah my thinking is close to this, if two similar games are ready together then there would be spacing out, a month, two or three like you said but never more, certainly never a year apart lol. In any case, it would be unlikely that two specifically similar 1st party games would be ready very close to each other for it to be a worry anyway.

1 Like

I think, based at least partly on the fact that Matt Booty was mentioning wanting to show off Fable, along with the time line, that there’s a pretty good chance of Fable releasing next Fall and us seeing it at either TGAs or E3 with a same year release… I’m curious which they’d do, as I know Ralph Fulton who is creative director and a co-founder of the studio had a habit for FH of showing at e3 the year it released. But since we’ve already seen some, I’m not sure.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’ll necessarily be 2023 but I do totally agree that Playground will likely aim to do the same thing as FH5 and properly show it off for a same year release.

3 Likes

I don’t know… It feels like most games are far out but something has to release in the second half of next year for sure. I can’t even guess at this point, lol.

The Xbox Waiting Veteran in me however says that the H1 games might not all land in H1…

I mean yeah I don’t KNOW that it will be 2023, but I think it has to be pretty far along if Matt was talking about wanting to show it but not being allowed by the team (aka most likely Ralph) until they’re ready. It’s obviously something that he has seen recently though, it seemed like they have been touring the studios to see how stuff is coming, and one reason to do that now is to see what can be shown off.

But I think they have a history with all 5 of their previous games of showing only a couple of months before launch. Fable is different because we saw the trailer for it already and knew rumors about its existence for a long time, so it could be something they’d show out of their normal cycle. I also think it’s distinctive enough to warrant a TGA showing while “just another racing game” might not have been.

Either way, just my opinion

1 Like

Fair enough that stuff may get pushed back some possibly, but I’m not sure that will affect this. At some point they will catch up and release more things and not let other schedules affect things.

Yeah, I just don’t know what could be ready next year. Every project is very ambitious now, and even Bethesda takes their time to polish hehe. The big games need to land well.

1 Like

Honestly i’d be surprised if just one of these games makes it to 2023, and it’s fine, it’ll still be a nice year with the already announced ones.

I expect either Forza or Starfield to release on second half of 2023 tho

3 Likes

I’m expecting Project Belfry next year since it was supposedly a 2022 game per Jez.

1 Like

Yeah, I am surprised Grubb forgot to mention this.

3 Likes

Probably too many codenames to remember.:joy:

1 Like

Hmm even in subscription model is it good to release to rpgs back to back. Inxile game and avowed. I dunno maybe.

Maybe I’m the only one where after an rpg I play other type of games for a bit.

1 Like