Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Well, Square Enix openly stated that it was hard to run studios :joy:

Was there any realistic eta on when things may pass with the deal. I know they said june/July of 2023 but i thought someone said march may be possible

I think the june/July (whatever it was) was them saying it’ll close in the fiscal year ending then. So it didn’t really say much other than a year.

Sad part is that no one, including very smart people are able to answer that with accuracy. Most dates thrown around are speculation and people guessing.

I think a lot of the nuance gets missed out when journalists discuss the acquisition. Almost all the articles are centered around COD and the potential loss of the games ABK make from being on the playstation consoles. But there’s so much more to it then that when King was the largest revenue generator for ABK last year and only 11% of the revenue for the whole company came from Sony.

ABK has a nice distribution of gaming in all three categories that Microsoft wants to expand in, console, PC and mobile, alongside some of the most valuable IP in the industry that hasn’t been exploited enough. The company was arguably undervalued at the time of the offer when you consider that since 2018 they’ve been making $1.5bn-$2.5bn a year in profit.

Another thing that gets forgotten is that Microsoft makes insane amounts of money, they will make a profit higher then the value of this deal if it takes longer then four quarters to complete(which it likely will). They have to do something with the cash which really comes down to a few things. Stock buy backs and dividends(which they already do), internal investment and developement(which they do), banking it(a bad idea in a high inflation environment) or acquisitions. ABK was just the perfect storm for them and just too good a deal to pass up on.

10 Likes

I believe the new deadline for the EU’s phase 2 was the 28th February, so it’s likely we won’t hear anything until atleast March, however it could be extended and/or other regulators may have a longer deadline.

It’s also technically possible that the EU could finish their investigation sooner.

EDIT: It was the CMA (UK) not EU and it was the 1st March 2023.

1 Like

Where did you check for EU’s deadline?

Sorry it was the CMA (UK) I was referring to not the EU:

4 Likes

Makes me wonder if Satya’s visit in the UK was for interviews with CMA regulators!!

5 Likes

That is what i was thinking. Isn’t it normal for regulators to wait until the last day unless a concent degree is signed?

3 Likes

From what I have seen from other examples (and what Hoeg Law has previously mentioned) it does seem to be the norm, although I’m not sure if there is anything normal about this acquisition :stuck_out_tongue:.

I don’t think this will hurt Microsoft, but it doesn’t help.

1 Like

I don’t think it changes anything for Microsoft.

4 Likes

It could help, if it stops some abusive Sony moves.

3 Likes

Well in USA, PS and Sony are competiting for real though.

1 Like

think this is more aimed at Oil companies and stuff like that, to come at Microsoft in favor of a Japanese company in today’s climate would be the end of the democratic party.

9 Likes

“abusive monopolies”

MS acquiring a gaming publisher that doesn’t even put them in first place isn’t that, it changes nothing in regards to the ABK deal

8 Likes

Microsoft has also donated like 100 million over the past 5 years to democrats. Doubt they want to rock that boat.

6 Likes

Oh look. Sony announcing PS5 COD Bundles. hahaha.

This creates an unfair advantage for Playstation

8 Likes