Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread (Part 1)

True, but the chances of it falling are low. At worse you’ll hear about parties suing each other.

1 Like

I guess all are waiting for FTC

4 Likes

I am yet to hear any evidence that compels me to believe that it won’t go through.

• Market share
  • Market dominance
  • Upstream/downstream
  • Game genre diversity (the presence of COD alternatives)
  • Streaming service competition
  • Studio numbers
  • Dev numbers
  • Third party publisher numbers after the deal closes
  • COD exclusivity or not

None of the above present enough of an issue, regardless of whether the FTC is being more interventionist these days. Even the EU will wave this through and they are much worse than the FTC.

3 Likes

The oracle of Omaha again betting that the deal will close :sunglasses: https://www.ny1.com/nyc/brooklyn/ap-top-news/2022/08/15/buffetts-firm-buys-more-apple-amazon-while-betting-on-oil

Berkshire now owns 68.4 million Activision Blizzard shares after picking up more than 4 million more during the quarter. Buffett has said that investment is a bet that Microsoft’s acquisition of the video game maker will go through.

14 Likes

This is not even the level of Disney / Fox and yet, that went through.

Well Fox / Disney took 2 years I believe. Also this time FTC is kinda petty.

I’m saying, there were far more reasons for that deal to not go through than ABK one.

1 Like

What I am saying that at that time FTC and other regulators did not care that much. Now they do. There are more democrats in FTC right now.

1 Like

Are we aware if any regulator has finished reviewing it yet? I saw New Zealand extended their decision from the 11th August to the 2nd September.

Don’t think so at the moment…

I think we’ll get the first regulator approvals coming in September, not too long to wait really :blush:

1 Like

This is recently from Idas on ResetERA:

2 Likes

I just wonder how much weight does a country like NZ will have compared to USA over this deal

For a scenario, let us say USA passes the deal but NZ doesn’t. What will happen then🤔

The MW2 campaign 1 week early if you preorder reeks of gamepass.

You mean it reeks of Activision. Nothing specific for GamePass.

Although the scenario sounds unlikely, I think NZ would require MS to agree to concessions to get the acquisition to pass through.

This is mega reach.

But what they can do should be limited to some extent

We really need an expert’s opinion on this

Why would NZ do that though?

That is not the point of enquiry… trying to understand by how much different countries can influence a deal such as ABK. It is not even just about NZ, but any country where ABK has business.

Disney/Fox only took so long because of all the stuff they negotiated to sell and then had to find buyers for like Fox Sports.

1 Like