Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread (Part 1)

12 Likes

Microsoft has built cloud infrastructure twice to stick it to Sony :joy:

So rather than moneyhattting, Sony could rent a couple of apartments and put PS5 server blades there :fire:

The one area i have been surprised by them in is VR. This is a very early market and they have dove in full force.

Well Microsoft should just wait till it’s big then when Sony buys a VR studio complain that it’s not fair and how dare they /s

On another topic, I just noticed that Geforce Now has had/has 10 million customers which is probably more than GP:U so that is worth thinking about when it comes to cloud stuff. It’s also better quality too than xCloud.

3 Likes

Absolutely. A lot of talk about this was brought up a couple months after tthe acquisition on this forum. Everyone was fairly confisent that would be apparent to regulators in their research. It appears however that we may have overestimated the ability of regulator to learn different market dynamics and assess technological similarities.

1 Like

It honestly just feels like they are looking at it like

Microsoft is big > they have cloud > their cloud is big > bad

3 Likes

Yeah this is the text of the response a few days ago

Yes. I don’t even see how thats relevant to the CMA anyway. So what if they release their games day 1? Sony stil has a game subscription service.

Perfect response friend. The only thing I’d add is that Sony of the last 30 years is a considerably more fiscally-conservative company when it comes to taking on debt - the last substantial loan that I recall them taking out was in 2006 (with a decade preceding the last instance).

6 Likes

Microsoft/Xbox thinking to future with cloud/streaming/subscriptions whilst Sony/PlayStation wanting to stick to the status quo of gaming hardware console exclusives. Software sales

Reminds me of how Sony/PlayStation saw the future in gaming on CD and using their music publishing and tech for CD’s to muscle out the old way of cartridges used by Nintendo to become no1. Ironically this actually made Nintendo lose games to Sony. I believe they nicked final fantasy because of this if I’m correct.

From some point of view, the idea to use Xbox server blades in Azure is kinda brilliant. If Microsoft will decide to sell Xbox server blades to third parties, third parties will have to port their games to Xbox, meaning releasing the game on Xbox.

Kinda similar to Stadia, but unlike Stadia, Microsoft has a home console platform - Xbox which is actually in use unlike Linux’s fork.

5 Likes

It’s sad for people to root for this to fail because of platform. Forget these employees need freedom, we want Sony to win. That’s what I got out of this.

8 Likes

Can anyone provide some insight on exactly what Microsoft means in the below statement? I am well aware of the Xbox Series server blades used within the Azure datacenters but anywhere that I’ve found Microsoft talking about their bespoke technology solutions they were referring to specialized custom cloud software solutions that they sell as a service. Are they saying they are not using the Azure software and the only thing is that they use the Azure facilities for housing their Xcloud. I’m very confused.

They are saying basically what you Meant. Sense Xbox cloud service is using Xbox series x in the cloud racks it cannot be considered an advantage as it isn’t ultra high end pc specs. So in theory Sony could do the same thing with their cloud infrastructure

3 Likes

Yeah this is what they are basically saying. Hence why it actually took time for Xcloud to switch over to Series X blades and why on the odd occasion you can experience wait times in some places.

3 Likes

6-minute clip from Seasoned Gaming Podcast on YouTube. This should calm this thread down a little. Also check out the full show it’s pretty good

2 Likes

Azure are datacenters (which is hardware + infrastructure) and a whole bunch of different software service stacks for business software from database and compute to ai. Xcloud is their own software stack with own hardware. So they don’t use Azure cloud services, they use Xbox stuff running on Xbox hardware. They use Azure infrastructure (as they are in the Azure datacenter) for routing, networking, etc.

Thats all not new, they are just clarifying the facts. Technically this is all correct but i don’t think its adressing the main point of the CMA complaint. There are synergy effects if you have a world class cloud engineering team, know how and infrastructure inhouse. Obviously. I would rather suggest this is not really a ‘problem’ concerning CMA stuff or has anything to do with ABK.

1 Like

I love that sentence

It is some high level “you are talking nonsense” stuff :joy:

4 Likes

Disturbing if true

3 Likes

I doubt that anyway the launch of God of War is really poor timing for Sony lol all the fanboys are going to hype it up and it’s going to get a lot of hype by the media and probably sell a ton of consoles and copies.

What’s the bet Sony doesn’t brag about sale numbers for GoWR