Matchpoint - Tennis Championships Enters the Court & Xbox Game Pass on Launch Day

Originally published at: Matchpoint - Tennis Championships Enters the Court & Xbox Game Pass on Launch Day - XboxEra

Kalypso Media have today announced that their upcoming sports title Matchpoint – Tennis Championships will arrive on July 7th 2022. The game will also launch onto Xbox Game Pass for PC, console and cloud. Matchpoint – Tennis Championships offers a deep career mode featuring a merit-based ranking system. Create your own tennis star and climb up the world ranking list. Also featured are 16 real-life international tennis stars from the professional circuit, including Nick Kyrgios, Kei Nishikori and Amanda Anisimova. You’ll also be able to challenge your friends and rivals to a virtual tennis duel in online multiplayer mode.

Matchpoint – Tennis Championships enters the court day one on PC, console and cloud with @XboxGamePass on July 7th!

Chase the ball 👉 https://t.co/RapD3s7edK #MatchpointGame pic.twitter.com/KnEXPrLpqQ

— Kalypso Media (@kalypsomedia) April 26, 2022

4 Likes

Will definitely give this a try. For me, nothing has come close to Top Spin back in the day. I sunk so many hours into it back then.

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem like much, but there’s not a lot to go on yet. Has the developer only done ports before? When I was searching the games on their site they seemed to be credited to other devs.

1 Like

You’re probably looking at the publisher who is Kalypso Media. From what i’ve seen the actual developers are Torus Games, and going by their Wiki most of the games they’ve made are using cartoon IP’s. Ben 10, Paw Patrol, Hotel Transylvania…

… I don’t know if it’s gonna be any good but i’ll at least try it. It’s been awhile since i’ve played a tennis game.

1 Like

I use to love Tennis games but I probably haven’t played one in 10 or 15 years. I will give this a try of course.

2 Likes

I was looking at the Torus site. It seems like Outright Games is credited with the games that I checked from their site.

1 Like

Definitely tryjng this.

I never understand why we don’t have a licensed and ‘big’ budget tennis game. It could be so great with a fleshed out career mode and/or story mode and good online modes. Tennis is like the godmother of videogames, with Pong in mind.

2 Likes

Probably because they don’t sell anywhere near a FIFa or MAdden which is a travesty. I love Tennis

Top Spin needs to come back.

1 Like

That’s pretty much it like why put the effort if it barely move the needle in sales. It’s sad though because Tennis games were a lot of fun, but they kept on stripping features and ended up stop releasing them

A bigger tragedy is nintendo botching and half assing their own mario tennis game. That is unforgivable.

1 Like

I’ve played a few matches now and it’s actually not too bad. Playing on PC, runs great. Not much of a good looking game but so far the gameplay is pretty good.

I’m reviewing it for XboxEra at the moment.

Not as positive as you are though… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I mean it’s no Top Spin but it’s playable at least :joy:

Sega should do a virtua tennis already. Would love mroe arcady sports games.

This is atrocious.

The aiming makes zero sense and is near on impossible to predict. It flicks back and forth from the position I expect it to be to where it is with no rhyme or reason, and it feels that instead of playing an opponent all I am doing is fighting the game’s own mechanism for aiming!

The number of times I have hit a shot to find the aiming icon - which is mear impossible to see - is starting from a position of being out is remarkable. It should either be starting in the centre line or be where it was the last shot you hit, rather than this unpredictable placement. Cross Court running and shots become a crapshoot.

Also, the animation model is that all clip-frames-to-get-there which is juddery and pointless, and the sluggishness of the movement is distracting. And by god, the screen tearing! The V sync is all over the place.

Reminds me of Shredders a bit - I don’t expect games to be AAA level all the time, but I do expect a little polish on game designs and concepts, with gameplay, that were sorted out years ago.

1 Like

Sadly the game is not good, and we need big publishers like 2k, EA, or Sega to fund a good tennis game. I think after top spin 4 it’s just been a disaster for this genre

I got used to the aiming and enjoyed hitting shots after a few matches. Full review coming soon!

2 Likes

Wouldn’t mind an explanation then! :joy:

Yeah, the fact it uses an aiming marker makes this a bad tennis game for me. Tried a couple of matches but not feeling it at all.

1 Like

If you play it in third person you barely see the marker. :smiley: Y