Kotaku: Xbox Smart Delivery Turned Out To Be A Pretty Big Deal

When Microsoft started slipping the made-up phrase “Smart Delivery” into all of its Xbox Series X/S marketing last year, it seemed like just another pair of empty buzzwords. Surely all games would just simply work after you installed them on your expensive new hardware, whether they supported Microsoft’s catchphrase or not. Not quite!

Nothing has put the gulf between standard operating procedure for next-gen games and Microsoft’s Xbox Series X/S Smart Delivery feature on display quite like Marvel’s Avengers

… Smart Delivery has turned out to in fact be a real thing solving a real problem that otherwise plagues the transition to next-gen consoles. I now take for granted that I can turn on my Series S, browse the Microsoft Store, Game Pass, and my existing account library, and just play whatever within seconds, no questions asked. Then I go back to my PS5 and find I’m running out of space already because I have duplicate PS4 versions of several games downloaded.

18 Likes

Its funny to look back on how people (like the folks at Kinda Funny) acted like this was so confusing and didn’t understand why Microsoft was making such a big deal about this feature…

Glad people are starting to see it.

17 Likes

Well, well, well.

14 Likes

the office thank you GIF

I have a PS5 and I have constant issues with Dead by Daylight where it has a PS4 version and have two trophy lists depending at different percentages depending on which version launched. It’s so frustrating. Weird that I don’t have any issues if I play the same game on my series x in the living room and my one x in the bedroom.

Also as mentioned above I was very annoyed by the KF staff when they would talk about it. I actually like the kf crew and I’m happy Paris is around more now but when the majority of them talk about Xbox you can tell they have no idea what’s going on over here. For example they said Horizon 5 was years away because playground is working on Fable. They had an episode titled Is Xbox Gamepass the best deal in gaming or something like that and I just couldn’t bring myself to click on it.

3 Likes

To be fair i did think like that originally but it’s obvious now. Smart delivery branding makes so much sense now.

5 Likes

Smart Delivery is, well, smart. What a surprise.

4 Likes

But isn’t it just cross buy? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

or

you could have read about it at the time and asked for real life cases

being kinda of a gaming publication and all…

5 Likes

Mandatory check-up:

Dirt 5:

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/1309060318614687750

Currently on Xbox, all progress can be carried over between generations. On PlayStation, your Playgrounds creations can be carried over, but other game progress (Career, currency, saved liveries) cannot. If that changes, we’ll let you know!

Maneater:

• This is not a different application/game on Xbox Series S & X and saves and trophies/achievements will carry forward.
    • This may require subscriptions to additional services such as Xbox Gold (such as for cloud save transfers).
  • This IS a separate application/game on PlayStation 5 and trophies, stats and saves will not transfer.

Marvel’s Avengers:

https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/eyntk-march-18

To migrate your save from PS4 to PS5, you’ll want to launch the fully patched PS4 version and go to the save migration tab on the main menu to initiate the upload. Once the migration is done, launch the PS5 version, where you’ll be prompted to download the data. Even if you have the PS4 and PS5 version of the game on the same console, save migration is necessary to boot the save on the PS5 version. You’ll need to download the latest update for the PS4 version so you can download the PS5 version. If you’re running the version of the PS4 game that has not been updated, you won’t see the save migration tab, and won’t be able to transfer save data.

Mortal Shell:

Players who have the PS4 version of Mortal Shell will not be able to carry their progress over when they upgrade to the PS5 edition and will need to start the campaign again.

Xbox One users will be able to carry their progress to Xbox Series X|S.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon:

https://twitter.com/rggstudio/status/1310643993689100288

Save data will not be transferable between the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game.

8 Likes

Kudos to Xbox and their design/software teams for anticipating these issues and creating a seamless experience.

Good on Kotaku for bringing this to light. Xbox is in a great place right now.

If only I could find a Series X😢

9 Likes

Wow, this seems unnecessary complicated on playstation. I have to admit at first I thought SD is just a pr buzzword. But seeing how things could be I’m just glad they thought this process through.

1 Like

It’s not even a thing that I think about, it just works heh.

Smart Delivery smartly delivers the correct version of a game to your hardware. Automatically. Save games just transfer and work automatically. Regardless of hardware a game is running on.

It took a game like The Avengers for people to realize it but make no mistake, PS5 owners have been dealing with this clusterfuck of a mess with a ton of games.

1 Like

simple, no bullshit, it just works

7 Likes

Xbox is turning tables here.

Never imagined Kotaku praising Xbox.

2 Likes

I forgot my favorite one:

Transferring save data on PS5:

Transferring save data on Series X:

PRESS A TO START

11 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

If Sony had been stronger on this we could have got it for every game as well. Their we believe in generations when it suits us schtick let publishers away with things. They just really like selling people the same game again.

1 Like

Damn Toys for Bob got no chill lmao

2 Likes

Analogus to the game sharing prior to last gen launch, it does just work.

Can’t believe Like a Dragon progress doesnt carry over.