IGN has learned from multiple sources that PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo won't be part of E3 2023

From a home viewer’s perspective, this shouldn’t make a difference. Xbox have already confirmed they’re having an in-person presentation in L.A. this summer. The only difference as far as I can tell is that it won’t take place in the E3 venue.

9 Likes

The E3 showfloor was only good for playable demos and we’re in an age where that can be brought right to people’s homes through demo downloads.

The live conferences needn’t be under the E3 banner and as long as they’re easy access for gaming media that is in LA for E3, it’s all good.

I do think we’ve been missing a bit with the lack of live conferences because crowd reaction was a good barometer for whether what was shown resonated or not. With Xbox doing their own live show we aren’t missing out on that.

It is sad, for sure. It’s like Blockbuster Video shutting down. It’s like Best Buy shutting down their car audio department. The industry is changing so that movie watching, music listening, and videogame playing is a more physically isolated exercise despite being in group chats or Discord servers.

5 Likes

You just gave me weird flashbacks. :smile:

2 Likes

From what I’ve read xbox is working with the E3 organisers so their show doesn’t overlap with anything big at E3. The Microsoft theater is a ten minute walk away from the LA convention center so it makes sense. All the journalists and media are there already while not having to pay the fees to E3

1 Like

This!

Given that E3 starts on June 13, I think we can pretty confidently lock Microsoft’s summer show in for Sunday 11 June

this sucks.

we will get month long ad infested showcases from Geoff instead :face_vomiting:

I guess this is one way of MS getting out of them having to release Forza before their next E3 event :slight_smile:

1 Like

and this is the main problem here. people making fun at E3 being “dead” and shouting “glad publishers aren’t paying any peny to ESA” from the rooftops while at the same time wondering why events/reveals are scattered for a few weeks/months rather than in a single/2 weeks like the usual E3 season.

2 Likes

Xbox don’t need E3 anymore. Time to buld up their own Showcase not connected to E3 anymore. Xbox Game Showcase and Developer Direct is the way to go.

1 Like

not surprised. why pay to be at the show when they all have been having thier own shows the past couple of years

E3 is dead and has been for a while.

No way can either giants provide booths for games

Nintendo have fuck all for 2nd half of the year and zelda due out before e3. Of course they wont participate.

E3 for me was just an event to massage egos of journalists and content creators. Most people cared about conferences only. And they have preeence though streaming.

So MS should go out of their way to prevent Geoff from promoting their showcase?

The /j at the end means it’s joke, while I don’t like Geoff, business wise there’s no reason to prevent him from doing so. Sorry if this didn’t come through, I’m just being pessimistic about the whole thing.

Edit: I could also be using the joke tag incorrectly as I don’t use it often. The only downside I can see is that Geoff is less interested in Microsofts efforts, and even than they can get more eyes on their stuff with him.

1 Like

Nah you’re good. I dodn’t see the tag at the end. Wasn’t super serious either.

Hasn’t MS been in their own theater and not technically at E3 the past few years? So not “at E3” but just happening to be next door at the same time.

So everything is as they usually are?

What’s the point of articles like the one from IGN that got this started? Microsoft host their thing in sync with E3 like they normally do, Nintendo is weird and Sony hasn’t been at E3 since when, the flute-guy?

smh

3 Likes

I don’t know. It only makes me think Xbox still cares and others are being market leaders like they’re too big for anything.