Hot Chips 32, XSX Architecture Deep Dive

That is what happen frequently unfortunately everywhere. People use their authority to prevail on the logic authenticity of an information.

2 Likes

I tend to agree. I remember AV Watch’s Interview with Mark Cerny about the PS4 Pro. Mark responded to the question about True 4k graphics and comparing the specs against Project Scorpio. Paraphrasing at best here but he said that to achieve 4k resolution at current rendering fidelity, you would need 8 tera flops at a minimum.

I don’t personally think that the PS5 was changed in clocks as a reactionary step against the Xbox. I believe that the technology group designing the PS5 had the current design as a option that they could target. It involved stepping the target release date back and they made the call so they could make the changes needed. @Colbert did his lovely poem sometime ago that talked about Sony dealing with heat issues. That, If he can expound upon what happened, Could be the biggest part to the story of why the PS5 is a 8-9 TFlop machine.

With everything coming out about the consoles, It is hard to compare apples to a Kiwifruit that is locked in a safe at the top of The empire state building. With nothing coming out from Sony on a full breakdown, It may indicate a unwillingness to allow the public to see that Xbox have the advantage in hardware because while the faithful will still stand behind SSD speeds, It hamstrings any potential to put out a marketing message targeting the casual market to overlook that the other box is prettier.

These two twitter threads go into some crazy detail (at least in my mind lol) over all of this. Some good reading.

2 Likes

Yep, the Series X is pretty much the best outcome in terms of what everybody wanted for a console.

EDIT: Also, the only silicon breakdown of the PS5 won’t be happening till people get their hands on the console itself and dig into the guts themselves.

2 Likes

The future is looking great for the Series X. It’s going to be a tech treat to have.

1 Like

Cerny said there was a teardown coming. Not sure if that is still the plan or not. I suspect they are lacking a lot of key rendering features that Xbox has and if so, I’d see no upside to them doing one. It’d just invite unflattering comparisons and questions about no ML, if VRS is there, mesh shaders, etc.

2 Likes

That is why DF needs to push Sony the hardest possible to have a teardown. All they showed were promises of ssd target or theoretical speeds peak perf without any real proofs to back up. It’s time to show!

1 Like

I don’t know if Sony ever made a teardown like MS/Xbox did for the One X and the Series X. The teardowns I know for Sony hardware are made by Fixit! and that is all. Sony also never presented their SOCs on Hotchips, not their style of doing things.

1 Like

You are totally correct on these informations.

Sony is not used to HotChips but keep dodging DF questions about hardware like does it have VRS or they give vague informations on certains things with grey areas needing additional precisions and further explanations.

When you see this behaviour you understand they are trying to gain some time as much as possible and keeping things vague or generally accepted without going into depth.

2 Likes

Very good points. Who knows what Cerny meant when he mentioned it. Might have just meant when ppl get their hands on the PS5 and take it apart they will be impressed with the cooling system. /shrugs

I do think someone needs to push them on GPU features though. Even without an actual teardown presentation.

1 Like

You clearly weren’t a GAF member

1 Like

Christ. That entire generation of threads were a ant death spiral started by someone feeding the message that people wanted to hear. Oh well, every generation of gaming has had that.

@LifeForms If you don’t mind me asking, While klee seemed quite credible, When did you doubt what he was saying? was it after the Git hub leak or the official announcement ?

Apologies if this is off base for the thread topic.

1 Like

I never doubted klee,when mark cerny said 36cus @ variable clocks at a max of 2230mhz. I was like holy shit Klee was completely wrong lol.

1 Like

Because gaf is dead. They had like several posters saying they were insiders, tommy fisher and Osiris black turned out to be even more wrong then klee. That crazy PC guy I think he turned out to be right though, lol.

What had me convinced was Phils changed messaging which went from “we will once again set the benchmark for console gaming” to “our my most powerful console”. I wonder what the reasoning for the slightly changed messaging was? It was probably nothing and just Phil saying things differently. But it was surprising when the truth came out.

Why would those engineers go to Sony? This not a console war statement but going from MS to Sony is a backward career move. I can see those people jumping ship to Apple, Amazon or Google because there is a bigger promotion path. MS lives in fear of their best engineers going to the big 3.

2 Likes

I guess they are trying to find the right words to highlight the advantages of the PS5 while not giving too much credit to the superior console which they basically tried already with “the road to PS5”. It is very possible we won’t see a breakdown from sony, though.

5 Likes

They couldn’t legally say they have the most powerful console until both launched, they would get into a lot of shit for false advertising. Also just because he said one thing and another doesn’t really mean much, once they both launch and if it’s clearly more powerful he will again change from our most powerful to, the most powerful.

They could of because the PS5 specs were not announced, so they could say it because theres no way to disprove it.

I’m sorry but I don’t understand what you mean, MS nor we know exactly everything about either box right now (MS obviously knows about their box :wink: ) so saying you have the best console now is a bit iffy. Once MS knows without a doubt they have the better box they will shout it form the roof tops like they did with the X1X.

I think they have it in the bad honestly so just expect it closer to launch.

I knew Klee was wrong from day one, I knew what was being designed. But what I could not understand is where he was getting some of his info, they were so far off. Even back in December 2018, I think it was either Brad or Jez was reporting 12TF.

2 Likes