Halo |OT2| Forging Ahead

There’s all the built in variations to the HI weapons. My biggest complaint of H5 was so many duplicate weapons, outside of maybe 2 Promethian guns and the grenade they felt meaningless.

I think with Forge scripting they can modify the base values and change the behavior, so you could have different Slayer types without Promethian skins. I enjoy meaningful variety, but H4/H5 didnt feel meaningful.

I can’t speak for everyone, but it feels like if folks were playing Social Slayer and a Promethian Slayer match was next up, so many would quit the match and restart matchmaking search, much the same way they do for Bohemoth map or some other modes.

This person recreated the beginning section of Delta Halo from H2 campaign.

2 Likes

I wonder how much Forge simulation memory is held back by Xbox One or if it’s purely an engine limitation

Obviously what can be done in forge is amazing but seeing people create relatively small/4v4 arena style maps and use up nearly 100% of the memory no matter how nice they make it look is a bit of a bummer

I know people are excited about campaign ai. and eventually creating big campaign missions but im not sure how much will be capable with the memory available, I just wonder if XB1 was eventually dropped could they make it much bigger

Anyone know the budget used here? This looks like a dev map…

I don’t know if they’ll ever drop forge from XB1, I think it’s already too late for that. I do half wonder if they eventually make a “Halo 7” if they’ll just carry across forge and just upgrade it rather than building from scratch. In which case they could drop XB1 and see some immediate benefits.
But either way - the budget for building with is still pretty huge still, and there’s a lot they could do a lot to help us optimise our budget usage by expanding the current range of objects to build with. I mean whenever I want to make something and can’t find a suitable object I start making it myself by slapping together as many other objects as I need. So I think just by supporting forge and adding new objects over time to meet player demand budgets will naturally get healthier.

1 Like

I am not a Forger myself, but I would assume that knowing where to focus for visual details and using the budget efficiently are very important.

Those are what differentiate the great from the merely good creators imo.

I did look into this and, barring anything that I’m missing, the changes you can make to the weapons are pretty finite. You can combine the output of a weapon with the firing rate and style of another. So I can have an AR shoot rockets, for example.

People have also modified some aspects of weapon behaviour beyond that, but I can’t change gun properties. That would be really nice IMO. It would be nice to be able to change the firing rate of a weapon, the clip size, the bullet spread and bloom, etc. Same with vehicles. It would be nice to be able to change their acceleration, top speed, grip, etc.

That said, hopefully it’s something considered for the future. I’d also include equipment properties as well. If they get these added to Forge, the game’s possibilities are truly endless.

2 Likes

You should mention this in the thread below:

1 Like
4 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks for that, just posted. I added one more item for custom win conditions, something I’ll get into a bit more detail in the " What are you working on?" thread.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing some Custom Games and there already are some fantastic maps and remakes. Hopefully it doesn’t take months to 343 to implement a playlist into matchmaking.

1 Like

Holy shit, this is insane!

Oh wow, I saw the thumbnail and didn’t think much of that but that is impressive. The interesting thing is they don’t even have banished building sets in the game yet, this is just clever use of other props and lighting.

Forge has been a boon for the game. Using sports analogy, it is like a player who can raise the floor and the ceiling for his team on his own.

3 Likes

They should yeah although im not too bothered about specific playlists in MM as long as there’s an easy way to join/host a public server of whatever map/gamemode I want

It may not mean much, but at least Halo Infinite allows you to have custom games with bots if you want to check out a community made map.

I’d be tempted but actual map design is not my forte, I’m all about remaking existing stuff and coasting on visuals :sweat_smile:

1 Like