Gears 5 RT reflection? (Nope! see pics)

No, insane on pc looks more accurate as Alex Battaglia mentioned above. It’s the novelty of Holy shit look at those cool reflections that’s making us feel like the XSX version is better, but imo the pc one is more realistic.

2 Likes

Ah, yes. Didn’t see that post yet. PC may be more accurate but i indeed highly prefer the less accurate look :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I do think the XSX one looks cooler and has more pop, and those kind of super glossy tiles are not entirely unrealistic so I guess we shall have to see how this new update brings changes to the entire game so we can judge the visual upgrades holistically than based on one or two screenshots.

Very true. One thing is for sure, it gives enough reason to go for another playthrough.

1 Like

The xsx version looks more like an eye candy!

I will prefer it over the insane settings.

Eye candy and 60fps is the best combination.

Who cares which is more realistic :sunglasses:

Yup!

Suddenly more reflections aren’t great. Who could have thought :joy:

Edit: it’s like sharp shadows vs diffused shodows.

Diffused shadows are more realistic, but sharp shadows look more eye catching. Eye candy treat😋

Naah, reflections all over the place isn’t an upgrade. Which one looks “better” is definitely more subjective and the only reason why it’s brought up because this is an upgrade and its only being assessed from that perspective, not that it looks good or bad.

You can go on YouTube and find hundreds of videos of GTA, RDR2, Skyrim all having a rainstorm on a sunny day, cranking up reflections everywhere and posting it as “Raytracing Boost 4K ULTRA EPIC SETTINGS” lol, it’s the puddle gate all over again. I’d wait for the proper Digital Foundry analysis of the Next gen version to get the full picture, I’m confident the upgrade is still gonna be significant enough and it’ll look crazy good.

1 Like
4 Likes

Yep, this the one. It’s counter intuitive in the sense people think more sharp something means that’s more expensive to render, it’s generally the other way around. It’s easier to render out a sharp reflection as a mirror of the original, but it takes actually more resources to then blur that reflection, and even more to do that variably based on PBR sensibilities.

Soft shadows in raster engines are done the same way to an extent, where it just creates a hard shadow, then just duplicates a dozen of them slightly around it with gradually reducing opacity to give the illusion of blurring and softness and hope you don’t see the dithering between the individual shadows that make up that soft shadow.

1 Like

All I know is someone has seriously been using a 12TF mop on that floor. :grinning:

3 Likes

I’d have to dig it up on twitter.

UPDATE: Lighting guru Alex from DF commented:

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1317727357684404224

1 Like

It is subjective choice. Good for me that the choosen quality on XSX is what I like more. And i like those ultra reflective YouTube videos as well😉

look at that framerate on 2080ti

I mean, it doesn’t look able to run at a locked 60 with these settings if only looking at a rock and the tree with its reflection is at 65

2 Likes

It’s not entirely subjective choice. They went with settings above Ultra, but below Insane for these SSR reflections. It does look better than Ultra, for sure. But not as good as Insane. I’ll gladly take the upgrade since it isn’t using RT. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a difference. I still dab with multiplayer / Horde mode and can’t wait to try it at 120FPS.

Posting it here.

The last screenshot supposedly from XSX is a mod from PC.

Apparently, we got a little caught up guys. Thank you C17.

1 Like

Awwww :frowning:

Says who? The source of the image says it is from XSX. Taking the same frame from the same cutscene on a PC mod is not demonstrating anything.

I Was not referring to the subjective choice by developers. But what general gamers might like is a subjective choice. I like eye Candys, some may like more realistic visuals. That’s all.

1 Like

The source of the image is even more questionable. We’re talking about Korean social media, which isn’t a news media

Images from that site using YouTube screenshots of PC and One X versions with the worst image quality i have ever seen for comparision

Someone from The Coalition need to clarify this, because too many people thing this is actually real screenshot from Series X