GameSpot: 13 Minutes of Exclusive 4K Xbox Series X Scorn Gameplay

Guys, you know that not every game are made to be a shooter like Doom right ?

1 Like

That was the July show that was all on Game Pass. A lot in the May show will not be.

1 Like

Yeah, and I’m fine with that but if enemies are sparse, make the battles harder or something, make me nervous or scared to run into something, keep me on edge. Thought that’s kind of what I’d get with the gameplay, wasn’t expecting Doom or Bioshock.

2 Likes

Yea its supposed to be a more atmospheric game dev made that clear its narrative driven

1 Like

Really liked what I saw. Graphically the game looks pretty darn good.

If you pay attention to how the person was playing (slowly panning the camera at the walls, scenery etc…) this was meant to show the atmosphere and graphical art style of the game. Love that it’s not your typical run-and-gun first person shooter. Everything looks creepy and disturbingly gross (in an amazing kind of way).

Actually made me want to see more of this game (boss encounters, levels, story etc…). That this is on Gamepass is a no brainer.

3 Likes

Looks pretty good graphically, and has a cool aesthetic. But man, that gameplay did nothing for me :confused:. Looks extremely confusing too. Every area looked the same minus a few parts, and I don’t think it will be fun having to “switch weapons” just to use certain switches? Idk, I’ll try it out for sure since it’s on Game Pass, but it was pretty tough to watch the whole 13+ mins of it. Hope it turns out to be something good tho. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like what I see so far, scorn guy isn’t doom guy

4 Likes

Still not sure if i find this interesting as fuck or boring as hell.

1 Like

Judging by this video, it seems there never is really any challenge or danger for the player. Maybe that’s intentional, cause its clearly not survival horror like Dead Space or Resi. Hopefully they can manage to have it stay interesting with other cool areas.

And that for me is the defining feature of game pass, the ability to try games with very low barrier to entry has meant I’ve played(and loved) a load of stuff that I never would have if I’d had to buy them to see if I enjoyed the genre or play style. Scorn will be another going on that list to try out for me.

Is this on Game Pass? Will definitely give it a try in that case. Thought it would be purchase only like The Falconeer

Yep this is game pass

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/scorn

The game looks phenomenal, has perfected that HR Giger look and atmosphere.

The game being slow paced is not a problem at all. I see people raving about Resident Evil and Dead Space yet that game has enemies walking at sub 1kmph and you taking your jolly time to kill them. But those games still had some serious strategy involved whereas this demo didn’t show that.

It also didn’t show any variety in environment it was all Xenomorph jizz and organs everywhere lmao however they did show a small section of an exterior at the end of the demo which sparked some curiosity. But I guess they want to keep that a mystery and I’m fine with that.

Also, needs wayyy more enemy variety, and enemies that actually feel threatening and not just ewww Jesus fuck get away from me and then you shoot and they die in one or two hits and you walk a few meters and it’s the same enemy and you’re like “oh”.

It’s also very very corridor shooter like, which does succeed at giving that claustrophobic feel but also doesn’t help when there isn’t enough variety in those corridors and you constantly end up at the same place.

All in all, I think it’s supposed to be more body horror (think Cronenberg, Lynch, Giger) instead of traditional jump scare horror and its fine to be a more slow paced experience, they just need to heterogenize the environments a bit and make the gameplay more interesting.

I think even getting to see more of the game leading up to launch in 2021 is gonna answer a lot of these concerns.

3 Likes

Reminded me a lot of Clive Barkers Jericho, atmosphere and certain aspects of the art direction.

It still looks quite unique though.

First time I saw it I was adamant it was an Alien spin off game, the Giger art style just stood out, I got really excited we were going to get a next gen Alien game but instead it was this, not a bad thing by any means as I love horror games and this really intrigues me.