Game of Shame - The Game You Want to Enjoy, But Just Can't Get Into

Ah, another one. I really tried with MHW, but it was just busywork.

I asked the podcast something similar the other week, ā€œGames you love, yet canā€™t bring yourself to playā€, for me it was SoT and its PvP aspect, Elite Dangerous and its time sapping element and Minecraft and being burned out on it. All three are amazing games yet I find myself never wanting to boot them up.

Games I really want to love but donā€™t though, here are some that come to my mind Immediately:

1. Witcher 3, even before CDPR showed themselves to be an awful company, I tried for hours to get into Witcher 3 and just passed over me like mercury off a ducks back.

2. Zelda BOTW, The weapon degradation is just so overdone to make me actively avoid combat, and the temples became repetitive. Its soo pretty though and its fun to climb around and fly off mountains etc.

3. RDR2, I preordered this as my friends at the time were picking it up for RDRonline, as we had had some fun in GTAonline. The controls, the tedious animation, the ā€œchorenessā€ of everything. I hated it, yet it looked so nice and such a wide and fantastic world to explore.

I would genuinely love to enjoy these games as on the whole they are excellent representations of the medium as a whole, and the fact I put so many hours into them is testament to that, but none of them grabbed me the same way, Horizon Zero Dawn did, or Yakuza Like a Dragon did.

It is a much more of a faff solo, but you can move from the wheel and look over the rail behind you to have a quick glimpse at the map without going downstairs. :slight_smile:

[edit] Oops, beaten already by @BRiT :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Final Fantasyā€¦ Ugh I triedā€¦ One of my friends claims series is so good and she has pleaded with me to give it a go. I did and found it is just not good IMO. Same goes for Devil May Cry, I tried but they are both terrible IMOā€¦

1 Like

My next Rant goes to Skyrim

HUGE disappointing game,

Iā€™ve been playing TES games since the OG Arena on PC in the early 1990ā€™s, been playing these games for more than half my life. TES games were my favorite RPGS for decades.

It really hit itā€™s stride with Morrowind and to me Oblivion improved on some of the awkward spots of Morrowind, I played Oblivion for literally Years, spent 300 + hrs in the game

So Skyrim comes out and Iā€™m super hyped, the first 10 hrs or so are great and then it ALL starts to fall apart.

You start to notice none of your decisions mean anything, whatever you do they keep you in this bumper car scenario where nothing much really happens, nothing you do dramatically changes anything.

Some examples

1. There is a side quest where you LITERALLY ASSASINATE the EMPORER!!! you literally kill the emperor, this is an event that should send ripples around the entire Region, after you escape the general area after killing him NOTHING happens, this one single event should change the entire game and yet nope nothing

2. Almost all the Faction quests end in some vanilla scenario where you just end up doing fetch quests forever

3. Writing is horrible and sparse, no memorable characters, some factions quest lines seem REALLY cut short

4. The ending was horrible, I had to go to youtube to see if I screwed up the ending, nothing much happened and Dragons kept spawning anyway after you beat the game and barely anyone mentioned what you did

5. Dungeons became to samey and boring

6. The Civil war quest line ended in a stalemate where nothing you did meant anything, perfect example of milk toast writing to afraid to show consequences for the choice you made during the game.

7. In short the game is a vast Ocean 2 inches deep and after you play for awhile you REALLY start to see how vapid and shallow the game is overall which is the complete opposite of older TES games.

Skyrim was seriously disappointing and I REALLY hope Bethesda learn from Witcher 3 and make writing, side quests, characters like previous TES games

Doom - Just donā€™t see what the fuss is about.

Red Dead 2 - Controls that badly designed donā€™t deserve my time.

Destiny -Yawn, traded it for Forza Horizon 2 the next day.

Gears of War - Grey, utterly Grey plus I donā€™t like emptying a clip 5 times to kill something in a game.