Fallout 76 passes 11 million players, made BGS much better developers in the end / Fallout TV show "moving ahead"

2 Likes

11M for a multiplatform game and a Fallout in three years show how much they did wrong honestly, the size is decent, but if you think SoT and FH4 are more than double without PS and FH5 could surpass it in one month…XD

I think they are supporting it for two reasons: rebuild the trust with community (like MCC) and to keep an active Fallout experience until the next mainline one will release (who knows when). Not coincidentally is much less supported than ESO, which is significantly bigger. For example the next-gen enhancements are not even officially announced for F76.

1 Like

“What is better - to be released great, or to overcome your jank launch through great dedication and free updates?”

All joking aside, I’ve got a weird interest in this game. I hate playing with other people and so never paid attention to this, but I have to say that I’m intrigued by what some people in the thread are saying. I also love a good comeback story, and I’m replaying New Vegas for the first time since launch so I’m in a pretty FO-positive place right now.

Actually, for the people who have experience with it: I don’t enjoy base-building in games (part of the reason I bounced off of 4), but venturing out into the Big MT to unlock permanent upgrades to my base was an amazing feeling. Is there anything like that? I don’t mean “You have to go into a special mode to place flooring and walls and stairs”, I mean “go to this area and you’ll find an item that lets you turn useless items into sort of useful items”

I recently got to lvl 100 in hane but I have friend on PC and ps4 and still sont understand why this game doesn’t have cross-platform play, would do wonders for the game imo.

Originally it wasn’t there because of Sony, there are official interviews with Todd who publicly blamed Sony. Now, who knows, I think MS should force Jimbo’s hands if they want to invigorate the game further (along with next gen enhancements). If you compare with ESO support, it’s a no-context quantity-wise (also becaise ESO support is premium and not free). If Sony won’t play ball with crossplay, I’d enhance the game only on Xbox. To be fair, also ESO is not crossplay, I think now thar Bethesda is under MS should introduce it within its two MMOs.

I’ve been thinking about trying this for a while. Any opinions on whether the game is better on PC or Xbox?

Thought this was an exaggeration but nope, apparently happened lol. Really hope they full their head out of their ass in the near future.

If anyone is looking into getting this, remember that there are some freebies offered with Game Pass Ultimate, a free month of the subscription service and a bundle of items, stuff like that.

I wouldn’t have said “publicly” otherwise. XD

IMO MS should force their hand both with ESO and F76 now they can, it’s been proved time and time again that crossplay helps multiplayer population.

Yup, completely agree that ESO should be cross platform as well

It’s pretty good on Series X with FPS Boost, but if you have a solid PC rig I would imagine you’ll have a better time there.

I’ve heard there’s more cheating/griefing/hacking on PC, whereas in my 100+ hours of playing on console, it was hands-down one of the best communities I’ve ever seen.

4 Likes

I’d bsay it depends, I think you would have a better overall time on PC (as usual) if your PC is any good, but its not bad on Console especially Series. I don’t tend to play much on my PC any more since I prefer that console experience when chilling out.

Yeah the games strong point since launch has been that the vast majority (in my experience) of the community has just been apathetic to others at worst. On console I never run into anyone who lives to piss someone off :smiley:

I would probably play a lot more but for not having friends, after hundreds of hours in the games growing to loathe the faff that is the menus/UI and I never liked power Armour in the games and always built to avoid it, so it being the “end game” does not make me excited to use it. Kinda like how I love Titans in Destiny, but just hate their stupid armor. :slight_smile:

Its certainly worth a try @profjjj

1 Like

FWIW, using Power Armor isn’t the only viable endgame build!

Oh really? When I first started that seemed to be everyone’s advice, anything but power armor was deemed pointless.

Interesting… :smiley:

Back to chez Cerys to overlook the bombs falling perhaps

@Castjess :stuck_out_tongue:

The game is pretty good about just letting you play how you want. With the right chems and food recipes, I bet you could find similar defense buffs without using Power Armor. The RPG stuff was designed by BGS, after all, and they generally have a rather solid understanding of those systems…they’ve been making games for a while!

While we’re on the topic of endgame…there really isn’t one? Once you’ve finished the main campaign and the DLCs…you’re just left to farm SBQ and other activities. So, I wouldn’t worry too much about that! I really enjoyed my time with the game, and was happy to leave it behind. I’ll gladly come back for cool content drops, too.

1 Like

Yeah it was just one of those things around launch, especially around launch I think, it was just missing that something that makes it shine, not that it was bad just not the same, and I didnt “hate” it :smiley:

tricky to explain really, perhaps its just how rough it was on OneX there was “too much space” between me and the game.

I mean as I discovered lyesterday looking at the microsoft museum, my top five “most played” included, FO3, FO NV & Oblivion. So I am no stranger to Bethesda’s Ouvre.

I think I recall @Knottian saying he plays with his wife, so it might be nice to try and play with someone friendly, I’ve not met weirdos in matchmaking, but not met many nice people either.

On the flip side of this, I played entirely solo, and had a great time! But, any time I did meet up with another player, they were very VERY friendly and welcoming. When I was a low level scrub, some guy came and found me out in the middle of nowhere and gifted me 100 stimpaks. Another gave me a plan for one of the rarest guns in the game. However, in terms of playing the story content, I played by myself and found it quite fun. And on certain missions, the game pairs you with NPCs to help make things easier.

I guess this is to say, I think you’ll have fun any way you play it!

1 Like

Ive 100% done all of the story content solo and its a blast.

So Sitrep, reinstalled. Jumped in to have a play and check my camp was still there…

Yeah I am off sick still for the rest of the week and my youngests Quarantine is over and she is back in Kindergarten. I made a stew to last us for tomorrow so… Yeah I think I shall be playing FO76 again tomorrow and Friday :smiley:

1 Like

Its great to see games with rough launches (Fallout 76, Sea of Thieves, MCC) continue to get support and ultimately thrive instead of being killed off as a noble failure.

2 Likes

Thanks for tagging me Cerys, I love talking about my time with Fallout 76 and how it went from utterly sour to a game that I now love. I picked up the game at launch in conjunction with the Robot White Xbox One X bundle, and while I loved the console and never felt as though I wasted my money on that front, FO76 was in an absolutely abysmal state for at least the first year following its release: network issues were abundant the first few months, quests were bugged, lack of content, etc. (you all know the drill by now). However, I want to say that I started playing it again a couple months prior to the release of the Wastelanders update (the update which I credit to wholly saving the game and providing the turning point it needed), and even though things wouldn’t drastically improve until the aforementioned update, I was surprised even then how much had improved (network/performance stability, additional quests/dailies/events, improved mechanics).

I ended spending a couple dozen hours in the game prior to the WL update, all solo mind you. Once the Wastelanders update came out, my opinion of the game soared and it’s only gotten better (one of these days I’ll finish my damn Spotlight article on it). I have roughly 616 hours in the game at this point and I believe the first 300 or so of those hours were completely solo, only occasionally pairing with others on a server during a tougher public event or what have you; as such, I would say the game is equally enjoyable solo or with others, but I would argue my time became more enjoyable (and definitely more rewarding tangibly or otherwise) when I started playing on a team, with my wife as Cerys mentioned. The great thing about the game is that the community is one of the most welcoming, helpful, and friendly communities I’ve ever experienced, so even primarily-solo players can get help when they need it. I do love this game, even if I drop it for a week or two at the end of a season, it’s become something akin to comfort food for me at this point.

As for making them better developers, I can absolutely see why (both from a negative and positive perspective). The game clearly was more than the developers were attuned to handling when it launched, but I applaud them for sticking with it, seeking help from others outside the team, and eventually turning the ship around to the point that I would say few who actually play it at this point even think about the launch anymore. From a positive perspective, it’s clear that their systems and tools were massively upgraded during development and after launch, almost entirely out of necessity. The weather systems and the scale of the world that has to accommodate them, in addition to all of the players, is pretty incredible for example.

5 Likes