Epic Games v. Apple Court Case - Law & Order Special Episode

Lots of different tidbits and small topics and news and I didn’t want to invade many other topics with them.

The Verge has great coverage on this topic:

Lmao on this one.

9 Likes

Let’s be fair to sony, they are just protecting children. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

9 Likes

Yes, lmao.

Unfortunately it’s a commercial discussion between ourselves and other stakeholders, and I’m not going to get into the detail of that on this particular instance. And I can see your eyes rolling.

Yeah. We’ve got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it’s all ages but it’s also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it’s something we have to think about very carefully.

“And I can see your eyes rolling” :laughing:

4 Likes

Ahahah LMAO, big L for Sony

6 Likes

I’ve been watching Better Call Saul and I have to say this is very entertaining.

2 Likes

Some shady business practices from Sony.

6 Likes

And how they [Sony] can get all their allowance money!

2 Likes

This court case has been so entertaining to see what goes on with these companies. I wonder what the deal is with Epic and Microsoft? I can only think it could possibly relate to UE because nothing else jumps out at me.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same question. Seemingly unrelated stuff has been leaking left and right and I have no idea why.

Like, what the fuck does a review by a Microsoft employee of The Last of Us: Part II possibly could have to do with this?? Makes no sense, but I’m no lawyer, aha.

1 Like

Yeah, the court case is basically about whether a platform holder can have such a stranglehold of what happens on it, so I don’t know why that was obtained through discovery lol.

Whatever happens, I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg as to what will come out of this court case.

1 Like

Man, could some big Xbox stuff leak through here? I honestly hope that doesn’t happen. This close to E3 :open_mouth:

1 Like

That Sony crossplay poison pill revenue kickback thing is interesting. Lots twisting going on to defend that one.

2 Likes

What, like an E3 announcement? That has nothing to do with the case, I don’t see it happening.

I mean the Xbox content + timing mention.

I agree it has nothing to do with the case, but you did have details for stuff like the STALKER 2 and The Gunk exclusivity deals, so who knows!

Yeah it looks like pretty much anything can be revealed here. smh

It wouldn’t surprise me to see majornelson’s salary revealed. :rofl:

Is it really? Sony is basically trying to make sure players don’t spend their money elsewhere and then use their network. Remember when Epic put all those V-Bucks ads in their game and you had to purchase direct from them? Apple kicked them off of IOS for that practice. This is more of a “penalty”. It’s a standard risk aversion clause - I see them all the time.

Epic’s vision is to be able to basically open a store within another store, pay no rent, and pocket all the profits. Apple spent a lot on their storefront, and at least they protect the user’s privacy. Epic would your private information to the highest bidder as fast as they could. I hope Epic loses LARGE

Epic has a problem with Apple because IOS is a closed ecosystem, where you cannot sideload apps like you can with Android, cannot publish Cloud gaming apps on IOS all under the facade of privacy and greed.

As terrible as Epic might be, they are fighting for the right thing. iPhones are sold at a massive profit, accounting for 64% of Apples almost $90 billion revenue but still charge 30% for the store, with no means of allowing 3rd parties to have their CDNs or payment networks unless you are a part of special group which Apple decides (against their stores TOS).

Funny how Sony is the only company out of Apple, Google, Nintendo and Microsoft to mandate an extra fee for their revenue loss, when the same case could be argued for every platform holder. At the end of the day your platform should try to lure these people into spending on our platform by being the best place to play/ease of doing transactions etc.

4 Likes

Sony is such a crappy company, glad im not stuck in their eco system

2 Likes