Dusk Golem doubles down on Xbox Series X being cheaper than PS5

That probably is the reason.

I don’t think Sony were expecting MS to go all in on hardware like they did. When speculation first started ramping up, 12TF was a pipedream.

Yeah, even Digital Foundry thought that 9-10 TF would have been the highest we could get.

We must remember that there are lots and lots of people that buy consoles to play just a couple of huge blockbusters, like FIFA and GTA V. For them, switching consoles is a breeze.

2 Likes

I think the difference is going to be pretty huge and that’s why sony is buying so much timed exclusives. The ps5 is more or less a 5700 xt that’s overclocked but overclocking speeds at least on pc has diminishing returns. So even though on paper the math puts it at 10.2 teraflops the actual gains are far less. Will be interesting to see DF videos at launch

8 Likes

It will definitely be interesting to see the potential impact/reactions if this is the case and considering recent circumstances wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft is willing to take a loss a bit to make up for no halo at launch. Otherwise doesn’t really impact me, especially without knowing what price either will be yet. Undercutting 500 looks pretty different than undercutting 600 etc.

I tend to think the opposite. I think focusing on the BOM is a mistake since we have no real info on what kinda price MS pays for those elements, plus (highly important!) they have subsidization strategies in play with subscriptions and Xbox All Access. The latter lets them recoup losses longer term without the issue of being costly upfront. The former means they can likely afford to go in cheap and take the loss.

XSS: $249 XSX: $399

3 months of GPU on the house. GP gets Gold included for no added cost. EA Access games now part of GP library.

Xbox All Access (2 yr commitment): XSS: $25/mo, GPU included XSX: $35/mo, GPU included

Note: I doubt MS would be waiting on the announcement if it wasn’t being set up as a megaton. I bet MS moneyhats some more games for GP for launch period too now taht Halo is out of the window.

5 Likes

If that’s the price, I’m buying two.

Remember AMD & MS co-engineering, deep partnership. Not for nothing…

1 Like

Buy 2 and duck tape them together now you got 24 teraflops of extreme power and can run dual 65" tv monitors

7 Likes

People are in denial if they think the PS5s final form was intended, It makes sense that the PS5 was planned on being a 8-9tflop machine, but after getting wind of Microsofts plans they implemented the smartshift + boostclock strategy which resulted in a monstrously big + expensive console.

6 Likes

Jep and don’t forget new customers. There is always a new generation. Though this generation is more and more in mobile if I examine what kids do in my near.

1 Like

As I said 500€ is my maximum I’m willing to pay. The fact I won’t have any additional cost thanks to gamepass and no need to buy a new additional controller for splitscreen makes it easier to cop this fall.

399$ and undercutting PS5’s possible 499$ price would be a real game changer and should drastically shake the next-gen landscape.

Come on XSX won’t be that cheap and neither is the XSS with just 500GB SSD space

Otherwise they would’ve already announced already. XSX will be $499 at best

Yeah and something up is with all the 3rd party exclusives. Obviously they don’t need those to be successful. They are cautious of something about Xbox.

I can tell you now the Series X won’t be a single dollar above $499. At worst.

7 Likes

Everything above 500 bucks is a suicide in the console market.

I don’t think so. It’s not 2006 anymore. $600 isn’t a lot of money anymore.

I’m just saying, the Series X price ceiling is $499.

1 Like

Strongly disagree. Working in financial services I can tell you first hand that many people (at least in the US) are hurting. I’m not saying that $500 is suicide but its definitely a lot more expensive than at the start of the year.