Driven by Marvel's Avengers, SquareEnix reports a ¥6,5b loss

I still really loved the game and can’t wait for Kate Bishop to drop, but man, they made some huge mistakes

1 Like

I really liked the game aswell, I invested exactly 100 hours into it. But as a game as a service it failed to maintain my interest after I got all the achievements, and the Kate Bishop delay really made me forget about the game.

A superhero game where you don’t feel like a superhero. 3 hits to kill every enemy when you are even Thor or Hulk. Honestly the beta was awful and I’m sure it was representative of the actual game.

They got what they deserved for their exclusivety bullshit. As shit as the game is, it might have sold a few more million with Spiderman in it from the start and not held back for future DLC on one platform.

The Spiderman controversy sucked the life out the game at a key time also. They made the unfortunate mistake of fucking over PC as well. Everyone will let you away with screwing Xbox but dare screw PC and you will hear about it.

2 Likes

I have no sympathy for them after the exclusivity bullshit, now I wouldn’t play it even if it was on Game Pass. The same reason why I’m still skipping Control, although I’ll give that a chance once the Series X version comes out (but only if it’s content-complete this time around). I hope Avengers dies a quick death, and publishers learn something from it.

Extremely sad that Crystal Dynamics were put to do this shit. No wonder the head of studio left for forming The Initiative, not insinuating that’s the reason but it’s palpable why there were massive creative hindrances in this project having to deal with so much licensing and the business model just didn’t work.

Spiderman worked cuz it was Insomniac, and they had a solid single player gameplay loop and the best execution of one thing spiderman is known for - swinging, and obviously a far more contained story with fewer characters. A live service Avengers with bullshit exclusivity deals on top no matter how big the IP, no matter how much sales it supposedly did on amazon, etc were all in vain.

Should have been a SP driven game with a strong campaign.

Everybody wants to be Destiny these days, but not everyone wants a Destiny in all cases.

i think the multiplayer is also dead on Playstation. So it didn’t even work there.

Let Crystal Dynamics make a new Tomb Raider or Deus Ex next, please.

Is Destiny the only game that got this format successful? Many tried this, but I think no one git close to what Destiny accomplished.

The industry needs to learn that is all games are GaaS, not everyone will play all the games.

1 Like