Do you let insider hints and teasers affect your hype or excitement?

It’s difficult really, because I love surprises, but having only two or three events each year mean that SOMETHING has to fill that silence. There are a lot of dog walks between The Game Awards and E3, so the temptation to stem the boredom by hearing Colt Eastwood telling me that there may be XYZ games is pretty strong.

In a similar (but not gaming) example, I used to fill boredom times by reading wrestling news. This was OK for passing the time, but I came to realise that I wasn’t enjoying the surprises anymore because I’d always seen the signs that it might be coming from the news feeds. I made a conscious decision to stop reading the news feeds and it improved my experience 100% when watching the show, rekindled my interest entirely. I suspect that E3 would be vastly more enjoyable if I wasn’t already 70% aware of everything that is going to be shown, and already heard everyone’s opinions/fears/complaints about it beforehand…

…but then I need something to read on the toilet

These days the opposite happens a lot more. Because the insiders give too much info so you are less blow away when stuff actually happens. Many recent examples like acquisitions for multiple studios (Playground, Obsidian), Fable and Perfect Dark revival, or upcoming Kojima and IO projects.

And, at the same time when there’s too much teasing without anything specific you also just know it’s because there isn’t a megaton to leak so your hype deflates just the same (like id@xbox in last may)

1 Like

Not really