Discussion: Day 1 Game Pass, Microsoft's "Moneyhat" moving forward

How is that compared to 120 million installed base?

Are you saying MS should spend more money on timed exclusives than Gamepass content?

If adding new Games changes nothing, why does Sony moneyhat titles for PS5?

I am not a MS shareholder, they do whatever they want. But there’s a reason why Sony and Epic are paying for exclusives, because it works. Gamepass is great, but it’s a plus for existing owners to further invest in the platform, and not a reason for others to migrate.

Gamepass day 1 any day of the week its far better and aligns with their services targeted approach they have been taking for the past couple of years or so.

Well, technically, they soon won’t have to migrate if they have a device capable of using Gamepass Streaming. Just a matter of paying for the sub. MS is trying to get away from the whole, migrate platform thing, and move it to a migrate or additive service thing.

1 Like

How are they going to sell gamepass without a Xbox console? Will PC and Xcloud smartphones be enough? That sounds like putting all eggs in one basket. If it doesn’t work, they are done.

They are betting Xcloud will be a runaway success and PC gamers will replace Xbox.

Yeah this is the part that frustrates me with many hardcore gamers. It’s more evidence of the toxicity in gaming. Getting excited about others being punished for not choosing the same plastic that we do. I get why companies do it from a business standpoint. If it didn’t energize the gaming enthusiast as much as it does, I dont feel it would be nearly as effective and the investment wouldn’t make as much sense. There is a segment of gamers who support something simply because its exclusive and it’s goofy. There’s no additional evidence of quality because someone else can’t have it.

In fact…Game Pass is the opposite of this. There is more value to games when bigger communities can be built around them. It’s where we should encourage the industry to go.

1 Like

It works but it’s not the only thing that works. Every market is made up of customers that fit into multiple segmentation’s. So what will all these other money-hats do? How much do they expand or hold the base? How do they stack up to the Game Pass value? We’re about to find out.

We’re also about to find out how many Madden, FIFA, 2K, COD and Fortnite gamers are going to buy the cheapest option. There is a large segment there as evidenced by the sales of the All Digital Xbox Edition during this past holidays.

I’d argue that Game Pass is a great reason to migrate to the Xbox platform. I believe it adds more value to a larger segment than any temporary exclusive. Messaging that value is the real trick. Nobody has historical data to back up head to head strategies since Game Pass didn’t start coming into it’s own until this generation was over. I like that Microsoft is making this bet because it brings value to me. Temp exclusives do not.

Well, that is also not including the fact that MS purchased quite a few studios for the sole purpose of bolstering their content offerings. These will be(for the most part) console exclusive in perpetuity.

Sounds awesome and much more healthy for the industry as a whole.

3 Likes

Hope MS get day 1 gamepass ganes, but also hope they do their best to keep multiplayer games day 1 on the console in general… don’t like to feel Like a 2nd class gamer. I know it is on the publisher also, but MS, as a plataform holder, has a responsibility…

Xbox Game Pass.

Locking games away with exclusivity is old, archaic and conservative thinking.