Digital foundry XsX + PS5 Unboxing and impressions

So if not about platform comparisons, I wonder what they could be? Like 99% of console things can be compared. The only things that cant be compared are exclusive features, so dualsense and maybe quick resume?

2 Likes

No platform comparisons huh, that would include third party games too, right?

2 Likes

I really wonder about the daulsense features, like, sure if you use the controller and focus on the new features they probably do seem really cool…but when im engrossed in a warzone game or taking on 100s of locusts almost zero atention is given to rumble.

2 Likes

Honestly wish they would stop doing shit like this, all it does is rile up the console warriors.

8 Likes

Secret sauce again ? :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Embargo goes up soon they said, so maybe tomorrow otherwise next week we should find out what they are even talking about here I hope.

1 Like

Xbox Series X embargo is up on Thursday November 5th and PlayStation 5 embargo is up on Friday November 6th as far as I know.

1 Like

In general, I watched the entire video. Nothing really noteworthy outside of them both loving DualSense controller which is funny because im personally hoping that I can turn off all of that shit. Even saw that it was using motion controls for Astro’s Playroom. UGH. No thanks. Other than that, it’s just a wait and see.

4 Likes

Digital Foundry have hinted a few times that the PS5 might match or even outperform the SX. So let’s just see what they mean by surprises. Though I suspect in reality it has nothing much to do with that comparison given they surely haven’t been able to do much there in the short time they’ve had the console.

My bet is something about quick resume on PS5. Maybe every game has it, as I have theorized before, so after it’s launched once, you can get back exactly where you left off in a split second. Maybe they really have eliminated load times. If so, it’s impressive.

When did they say that?

1 Like

You need some kind of snapshot/save to be able to get back to where you were exactly at that precise moment in time, highly doubt you could pull that off on every game.

1 Like

A salty one! :joy:

Never. He’s just making assumptions based on nothing. Lol.

2 Likes

Ah ok. Heh

2 Likes

Damn, another week of waiting then. Ah well.

It’s certainly something I don’t recall DF ever saying either.

In the comments of that video I see people speculating that PS5 might be the better performing console after all, or that games will look better…which honestly is something I cannot understand at all if that were the case. But I guess there is always the possibility that XSX is a little more harder to developer for OR that some tools are behind resulting in slightly inferior versions? I have no idea.

But that brings me to what the men at DF both say, it has nothing to do with platform comparisons. If you ask me that rules out comparisons of multiplatform games differences as well. But who has the better SSD is also part of a platform comparison, does PS5 have quick resume after all or better…again,isnt that all part of comparing platforms?

Not a fan of that stuff, insiders do that shit too.

1 Like

Ok, I watched the PS5 UI video again and IF it’s real time, you see that when the host log in, the game Sackboy is immediately launching in the background. Like literrally the game launches directly from the UI, as if the UI is an interface in the game, like a pause menu if you will. It’s kind of cool, I admit. I didn’t see anyone talking about that, but maybe I’m late. Also, the actual loading of the game is quite fast, not instant, but real quick. So if all games loads when you are navigating the UI, yeah, that is a neat feature and a nice surprise.

Good point. Surprises could also be “simple” things like that, not necessarily something that will instantly be a negative for the other platform. If PS5 does have something similar to QR that would only be a great thing and not take away from Xbox or anything, not for me at least. But also SSD between the two systems not being all that different after all would be a surprise too but that is what I’d consider platform comparing. Hmmm.

2 Likes

It would be surprising if the PS5 had better visuals then XSX, Even with the more mature SDK on the PS5.

But, I don’t know the PS5 so far is performing like a 10tflop machine, spiderman at 4k 30fps with Raytraced reflections is in 2060super territory and gears 5 at ultra settings(and higher) 4k 60fps is 2080 territory. Im really curious how AC: Valhalla performs because 10tflop RDNA cant do 4k 60fps on odyssey.

My thinking is : it’s not about performance or games, so it’s probably some small feature linked to the UI or SSD. So not console wars stuff, although everything is right now !