DF Direct: Spider-Man Miles Morales PS5 gameplay reaction

It’s John again🤦

Care to elaborate on that?

Edit: To make it clear, we don’t tolerate any talk or insinuations of bias in the media just because some may not agree or understand what some journalist say.

Yeah I know. He is a huge fan of Spiderman.

99% sure that’s not the Spider-Man remaster footage but instead the original PS4 version. I see the same SSR and cubemap tricks used. Plus it’s rather soft compared to the MM footage. His point is that even on the current gen versions, pop in is managed well and that is further improved in MM on the PS5.

1 Like

I can elaborate on it. I think John has bais. But don’t get me wrong here. I am not saying he is bais for Playstation but he is ‘bais for games actually’.

My only complain is that he talks about game being good as a simple gamer rather then a tech expert. I like Alex’s and Richard’s approach better in DF videos where they like to discuss the game technology more instead of reviewing the game just as simple gamer. John to me appears to be another IGN or gaming bolt reviewer type analysts. Marveling on the overall presentation alone rather then finding nooks and crannies.

There’s nothing bad in reviewing games like John does but that’s not what i want from a DF channel. I can see IGN or perhaps gaming bolt like channel for that.

Anyways, John is a good guy and expert but he let things slip whenever he is overall satisfied with a game.

I look for critical reviews from DF but not how much a game they like personally.

Anyways, if you think i was basing it for being a PS fan then let me be clear, that wasn’t my intention at all.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining even though I don’t agree at all. The only thing I see John having any bias towards is classic and retro games. He very much is able to separate his opinion over a game to view it objectively just like the other 3 on the team. Whether you’re claims about bias are about the system or the game, it doesn’t matter and isn’t recommended. Regardless of what you think of Spider-Man, the game does do a good job at masking draw in unless you’re looking for it and that’s what John was explaining with clear examples on screen. Makes no sense in being critical of aspects that are considered impressive. Alex, who you seem to hold in a higher regard, also agreed with John. Dismissing or even breaking down anything surrounding journalists as just bias isn’t advised.

I don’t care what is advised or not.

If it is against the forums policy, then it should be implemented as a rule but not as advised.

I will never critise any individual on this forum again if that’s the forums policy and rule.

But pls, keep your advise to yourself.

1 Like

You should care, because this forum and it’s community has a desire to be better at facilitating friendly discourse about video games, and we’d hope that everyone who has come here to join us on this journey feels the same way.

It’s not a problem to criticise or have an opinion, no-one is suggesting you can’t do that - but to just realise that real people are at the other end of your words. Your explanation was worded far better than your initial “facepalm” - so while other members might not agree with your stance, you’ve at least framed it far better than a dismissive emoji.

It’s just video games.

1 Like

If it’s just about games then why an emoji is the origin of this argument?

In future i can only hope to communicate in a formal way while having critical opinion of something/someone to make sure correct deliever of the message.

As far as being advised or been told what are the rules for the forums are concerned, It’s better in case when things are highlighted by the moderators (in green highlighted reply), should be handled in formal way rather then something like advised.

People will bound to have difference of opinion on this forum. In middle of an argument a fellow community person may advise me something and i will respect that. But in same argument if a moderator wants to advise me something, then it apperas to me as a soft way to push a certain narrative by enforcing adminstrative power. I prefer a ‘formal way’ of mediation when argument is being handled by a moderator.

Anyways, the matter is clear as day. An informal medium of communication may bring out different intention behind the message and perceived differently by others.

I would like to end the conversation on my side at lighter note and share a similar case of misunderstanding of what ‘emoji’ implies as a message.

Recently, Lisa su (amd CEO) tweeted about a console and there collaboration on it. But she by mistake( i assume she did it by mistake) left an lol emoji at the end of it. The message was wrongly recieved by many. And it was quite funny.

2 Likes

For the record, i agree with you about John. Not a bad guy at all but you should be able to point out observations.

2 Likes

Thanks for your support. As i mentioned in my above comment, it was just miscommunication due to an informal way of medium (emojis)

This forum has given great opportunity to share and converse ideas. Nothing restricted in this sense.

1 Like

It’s the remaster. It says in the bottom left. The PS5 remaster is missing lots of LOD stuff and has pop in. It was noted when they first put that footage out a lil while back too.

The first 30 sec or so of this comparison shows it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK-DKgsCt5Y&feature=emb_logo

^^Note, that is same footage DF is using here at 10 min mark. There’s object pop in, what looks like weird z-fighting(?) at one point and at least one spot with texture pop in just in that one scene, not to mention a lot fewer objects in the scene he looks down from water tower.

John’s told me himself he has a soft spot specifically towards Demon’s Souls and Spiderman. That is certainly not the same thing as what most think of when it comes to ‘bias’ in the sense of having a console/platform bias though. He also is a huge fan of Gears, for instance. And of older Halo games.

Now it’s all making sense, I’m talking about the PS4 footage that came before. You mentioned the LOD stuff and the footage below is what’s being showing during that discussion. When they are showing the remaster footage, they are discussing the frame rate, not pop in.

Having a soft spot, preference, or even bias is one thing. To make claims that someone is neglecting to cover something because of said bias is an entirely different matter. We do not want people to just be making blanket statements of bias as that is not constructive or beneficial to the conversation. @No-1HoloLens-Fan’s comment made even less sense since he directly references Alex’s ability to disconnect his bias for a more objectional view but Alex was in the video agreeing with John. So either he didn’t even watch the video he’s commenting about in this thread or he’s being very inconsistent with his opinion.

We want this place to be a welcoming environment for everyone. Regardless of their console preference, in or out of the game industry, or whereever they come from. Purely breaking a comment down to bias is lazy at best and harmful at worst. It’s the equivalent to calling developers “lazy”. It’s a way to dismiss someone’s efforts with little to no effort and we should all be trying to be better than that here.

Then on top of that to push back on me in a disrespectful manner when I try to advise on what is and not tolerated here just makes it worse. I’m not trying to push any narrative. I’m directly saying what is and is not tolerated here. People want to provide constructive criticisms to those in the industry? Fine, we have no issue with that. However to revolve that criticism around “they are biased”? No, that is not productive in any sense as I described above.

1 Like

Half on-topic rhetorical: do you think people may be misusing “biased” as a replacement for “nostalgic” or even “jaded”?

In many, many, tech, auto, and motorcycle, etc. blogs and articles I’ve read over the years, a good number of authors note their constant saturation in their fields and admit to losing the luster, excitement, and allure to the topic.

Lol. Tell him, not me. I was pointing out that the framing of John as biased in a way that is problematic was off base.

Re-read my first comment about the Spiderman stuff btw. I was saying that John’s comments about LOD management and how important that was to the original game (or any open world game) is awkward when they immediately switch to the PS5 remaster version showing weaker LOD management than the PS4 original. And regardless of what their discussion focuses on, the footage is still showing those faults.

For reference, here is what I said originally: “The comments about LOD management is kinda awkward since they talk about MM and then show the Spiderman Remaster scene with the crane/water tower, which contradicts the point John makes (which is about MM) right before it.”

I dunno if I’d consider “have a soft spot” to mean biased. Could just mean interest, or as someone else has said, nostalgic. Though then again, maybe it does? I dunno, english can be confusing at times.

On topic, Miles looks good, but not “buy a 500 dollar console” good. (though Demon souls may do that for me). But I feel like I’m still burned out after platinuming Spiderman, even so many months afterwards and unless Miles is a very clear upgrade in most ways, as a sequel would be, I have little to no interest.

1 Like

Edit:

Possibly but I’m not sure if that would fit here. The original Spider-Man game isn’t old enough to be nostalgic over IMO even though I know John has a fondness over the game as he’s expressed in the past. He’s also expressed less interest in doing less comparison videos and more retro or deep dive analysis videos. Considering how fanboys on all sides like to go after DF over their videos, I don’t blame him.

Oh don’t get me wrong, my comment is directed at @No-1HoloLens-Fan and that’s why I tagged him in the post. I just quoted you since your the one who mentioned the soft spot lol.

I’ve also read your original comment, multiple times, before making my initial posts and maybe I’m not understanding it as well as I should but I didn’t find anything weird in how they edited the video since they only cut to the remastered footage when discussing it and the frame rate mode. I thought the footage shown and edits made regarding the LOD makes sense. So I think I’m just not understanding your point now lol.

That seems to fit the narrative I referenced of losing the luster, excitement, and allure of the field. Sounds just like the car guys reminiscing about the days they could tinker on their own cars and styling was inspired and unique rather than today’s differences being the badge glued on.

That being said, I haven’t seen the direct attacks, venom, and threats towards these non-game journalists that we see nearly everywhere, now. I’d want to get out of comparisons, too!

1 Like

Yeah I think I could be mroe clear in what I meant. I’m just saying it is awkward to talk up LOD management in a PS4 game, and then shortly thereafter show the ‘superior’ PS5 remastered version which has LOD issues. It can be confusing for the point he had just made moments prior. :slight_smile: