Capcom leak: Sony paid for Monster Hunter World timed exclusivity & to block crossplay and cross-progression

Well that’s the thing right?

Like…you have 2 scenarios:

1. 50 million Xbox One owners
  2. 20 million Game Pass subscribers

Why is number 2 more attractive than number 1? Engagement. Plenty of people buy a device one off that never gets used.

But how many people subscribe to a service they never use? Not too many. Especially not in comparison to the above. That’s why Game Pass will get harder and harder to ignore. Google dropping out has given Game Pass a massive shot in the arm and I’m sure is a part of the aggression from MS with all these third party deals.

As an outsider looking in, it seems like Microsoft is trying to snuff out any competition to Game Pass before it gets off the ground.

7 Likes

That’s what I think so too. It’s already really hard to combat them. Every little feature added, every little detail, just builds on top of a massive solid foundation of hardware+software+studios.

Others struggle to get the software right, or the hardware powerful enough or accessible enough, maybe they don’t have the talent or the studios to make their game. MS already covered all bases, now they’re just patching some stuff. Pruning to make it grow even better.

1 Like

GP deals are so good.

1. Don’t have to keep stuff exclusive

2. Xbox pay more for the platform players rather then other platform players

3. Game still has chance of selling on Xbox

4. Game can still be sold on other platforms

5. The exposure is great for games

6. And I got to play it for $10 :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Outriders at one point was the top paid game on Xbox (I think in the US?)despite launching on Game Pass

1 Like

And well… in my opinion, Outriders is not even that good of a game, but being able to just pick it up and play for “free” just makes its value skyrocket.

Now imagine… Halo Infinite… Battlefield 6… Psychonauts 2…

Gamepass is something else, and I feel we’ll be pretty shocked with it this year, the number are going to be crazy.

2 Likes

Sony are just so dated. So behind the times, always been behind the times, only this time it will lead to huge consequences

1 Like

Yeah, imagine Gears 5 in today’s game pass with 20 million subscribers and not less than 10 when it launched. If a shallow game like Outriders (it’s not your opinion, critic score is mediocre and everyone who played it said that it was ok, but with countless problems and lack of polish, without GP it would have bombed) can be boosted like this…now imagine Halo Infinite and maybe FH5 and Starfield this fall…XD

3 Likes

There was a lot of hearsay about how Sony treated some of the japanese developers once they got to dominate the market completely. It was often stated as one of the reasons on why Ms managed to get so much Japanese support on 360.

But, it can’t be THAT bad because when Mattrick decided Japan was not worth it anymore late 360 life they went back to making deals with Sony.

Well they had to make deals with someone, and Sony was geared for the top of the gen at that time.

Not much choice there…

Okay, I get it. No one should be surpised by this, but should we only talk about things that surprise us?

This forum would be pretty sparse if we did. Yet I keep seeing the “is anyone surprised?” question in so many threads here

For anyone that still cares, this has been debunked.

I remember this is the sort of stuff that used to happen to Xbox, weird to see it happening to PS.

7 Likes

They don’t want to invest anymore. All they seek is short term big profit. That’s why they try to money hat instead of funding there IP’s sequeal.

This gen they are all about reaping profits.

Xbox on other hand is investing for the genration 5 years in the future.

I don’t know why anyone is shocked by this news, despite their “for the players” marketing line, Sony’s been doing quite the opposite for years now.

It’s not true, see my comment above.

1 Like

Again with this!!! :smile:

shit was a misunderstanding. Kill this thread lol

Closing the thread as this was confirmed to be a misinterpretation on the part of the original source.