Asobo teasing an announcement soon with Xbox Game Studios in the background

Probably nothing. This not being launch window is as much as fail as Halo and having nothing from Minecraft. Baffling decision making.

1 Like

They will announce the VR support for the game

2 Likes

Oh Yeaah this makes the most sense. Itā€™s already announced, but I guess it will be detailed now.

2 Likes

Nah, as long as something arrives in the next quarter it shouldnā€™t be a big issue. At launch the console will be supply-constrained anyway, but a couple of months later they should really have something to properly ignite the sales

1 Like

Perception is important. It killed the XB1 even though it never actually did the things they announced. They should have aimed for Gears Tactics, Halo Infinite, MSFS and Minecraft RT at launch.

What killed the initial Xbox One momentum was certainly not the lack of games. If anything, Xbox One had a far better launch (and first year) line-up, while PS4 mostly had indies and ports of last gen games (sounds familiar, no?). It would certainly be far better if Series X had a few killer exclusives ready for the launch, but I donā€™t think that not having them will necessarily hurt them in the long run if they play their other cards right.

5 Likes

Correct. XB1 actually had a better exclusive launch lineup and the arguments from fanboys (I know, I knowā€¦) was that most people would be playing Madden/CoD anyway and those were going to look better and run at higher resolutions because XB1 had ā€œbad graphics.ā€

Funny how goalposts change depending on the time of year, lol.

Anyway, I think this is probably just MSFS related but by gawd if Asobo joined XGS that would be one hell of a catch. Plague Tale and MSFS show that this team is incredibly talented; now imagine them with a big budget and freedom to do whatever they wanted.

5 Likes

It could happen at some point, but I think they just signed a new deal with Focus Home Interactive for 3 games or something like that. I doubt it would happen any time soon.

Itā€™ll be an update on the XSX version or something more on the VR support for the pc version most likely.

Not going to see MFS at launch. Iā€™d expect Spring next year at the earliest. However, I could see an acquisition

Asobo is talented and MS should acquire them imo.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t say lack of games killed XB1. I said that announcements that never happened did.

XSX will be fine and I like their launch line up better than PS5 but thereā€™s a perception thereā€™s no games.

In my mind, itā€™s pretty much a given that theyā€™re joining Xbox Game Studios. Studios similar to them like Double Fine, Ninja Theory and Obsidian went for the security and increased budgets of Xbox while also retaining a lot of creative freedom.

1 Like

There are no games, except BC patches. It isnā€™t a perception - itā€™s reality. I think they will be fine down the road, but launch is pretty lacking for new experiences. Sony has MM and DS - an infinitely better launch lineup. Back on topic, Iā€™d expect Asobo to be acquired.

1 Like

Itā€™s funny you use DS to describe a new experience. Itā€™s a remake and a standalone expansion. Iā€™d rather have Gears tactics and The Medium.

4 Likes

Sony has a DLC expansion thatā€™s being given a remaster treatment and a remaster of a decade plus old game.

If Xbox promoted the Gears 5 and FH4 and SoT remasters as Sony are what would the difference be in reality? Not a lot. The fact Xbox are just remastering their games for free to little fanfare is counting against them here.

In terms of a brand new next gen experience there isnā€™t one on any console.

3 Likes

I think people are reading a bit too much into the background when it comes to acquisition talk. Flight Simulator was published by Xbox Games Studios, my guess is that this backdrop was created for any sort of press that do for the game.

That being said, I do think Asobo will join XGS at some point. Flight Simulator was such a win for Microsoft, not just Xbox, as a way to showcase Azure and other Microsoft tech that I would be shocked if they arenā€™t already on the radar of Satya Nadella and other senior management. I would imagine that it would really be up to Asobo to be willing to sell and for Phil Spencer and his team to get it done.

2 Likes

I hope there wonā€™t be another Double Helix situation.

4 Likes

Asobo is a studio Microsoft should be in talks with to acquire, what they achieved with Flight Sim was amazing, of course thereā€™s always the possibility that they want to be independent but Insomniac used to say the same and look what happened, many people may think that Microsoft buying too many studios wonā€™t be good for the industry but with so many players trying to get in itā€™s probably better long term if Microsoft actually secures a bunch of studios now, imagine for example if Amazon or Google had bought Bethesda instead of Microsoft and would have put all their future games behind a subscription system, that wouldā€™ve been a nightmare scenario because Microsoft gives you options which is good.

This is why I want Xbox to be a strong brand, because Microsoft can actually compete with these big corporations if they suddenly want to spend billions on big developers and publishers unlike Sony and Nintendo.

4 Likes

An Xbox release date?

Probably VR news.