A case for great new Games on XSX!

Unfortunately (and this applies to nearly every fanbase, in console wars and beyond), people choose a brand over irrational tastes, sentimental decisions and whatnot, then try to explain rationally why that one is far better than everything else out there. It happens in gaming, sports, music, you name it. We all have our reasons to gravitate towards Xbox. Whether it’s because of Halo, Forza, because someone gifted us an Xbox, because of a cheap entry barrier at one point, because of a large collection that carries over that makes it hard to leave the ecosystem, etc…

It would be so much easier if people were honest about reasons like these, instead of trying to justify them by pretending the system is better in literally everything. Microsoft still has a lot of catching up to do, but bringing the most powerful console, a crazy value in Game Pass, proper backwards compatibility and basically tripling their first party studios are big steps towards this. Steps that people who arbitrarily chose a system beforehand will downplay time after time, even when the games coming out are legit good. I get the “no games” memes to an extent when Microsoft was pushing out Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3 and another Forza. But in a year where, despite a global pandemic, they’re publishing Ori 2, Gears Tactics, Battletoads, Flight Simulator, Tell Me Why, Wasteland 3 and so on, it’s clearly absurd to continue posting that stuff.

2 Likes

Well I look at it like this - the biggest games and/or franchises around this gen are things like FIFA, COD, Fortnite, Minecraft, Destiny, Overwatch etc… are in no way the experiences that seem to be ‘all that counts’ in some quarters. You could and probably would add Sea of Thieves to that list.

I’m all for variety and Xbox clearly needs SOME polished cinematic type experiences because frankly it hasn’t had any save for the timed exclusivity of Tomb Raider - since the start of this current gen. You could put Gears 5 into that category I guess.

But I personally won’t play a lot of those sorts of games SO I want a broader choice - I’d like the odd thing like that, some open world stuff, some looter shooter stuff, RPG’s, racers, FPS - the last thing we need is every game being the same mould and template.

1 Like

Thank you Game Pass.