343 Confirms Halo Infinite Multiplayer Free To Play, 120 FPS for Multiplayer on Series X

I am curious if they release Forge as part of the MP suite or as a completely separate package.

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming itā€™ll be part of the paid package of the game, but it could be an interesting choice to open it up to a broad audience.

Considering how much it ties into MP. And with history of releasing Halo 5 forge as a completely separate app I think they will do that again. Also this makes me think the Halo infinite menu system will be like COD. 3 distinct executables all accessible through the UI.

Maybe thatā€™s what theyā€™re talking about when they say itā€™s more like MCC?

Iā€™d prefer they not lock anything behind a sub, including Game Pass. The best way to stress the servers would be to make it an open beta for anyone who wants to join. Would be the closest way to mimic a F2P game.

I wonder if weā€™re going to get Warzone 2.0 or maybe a FireFight mode. Would be awesome if they took another stab at Spartans vs. Elites but on a much bigger scale.

Creative mode is what my kids spend the most time in with Fortnite, it would be enormous to have Forge be something akin to that and free so Iā€™d imagine they do.

Exciting stuff.

I think Halo has ultimately always been driven by User Generated Content eventually. Forge is intrinsically linked to multiplayer in general, so Iā€™d imagine/hope they all come in one package.

Canā€™t wait to see what it looks like. Get addicted all over again!

After thursdayā€™s show, my hype was down on Halo when focusing on the visuals based on expectations. Since then, theyā€™ve come all the way back up. The potential of the campaign sandbox, continued single and multiplayer content, 120fps arena and the size of the community building Forge and able to support all gameplay types has got my hype level back beyond where it was prior to the show. So damned ready for Halo right now! Iā€™m not sure the general gaming community is ready for how big Halo could be. Halo may dominate the majority of my time through 2021. Microsoft studios can feel free to take their time with everything else.

Forge will definitely be free and I agree with the points about how they will do stuff akin to MCC/Warzone.

1 Like

I wonder if ppl could use Forge to craft a map visually better than the demo.

:doge:

There were a few forge maps that looked better than boxed MP maps in Halo 5. So yeah itā€™s going to happen.

Challenge accepted.

My only real concern about F2P is the potential for cheaters.

However, that should be an easy fix if we can disable crossplay.

1 Like

Iā€™m beyond convinced a BR will happen within 6 months of launch, it just makes sense. Get the big name streamers to play it day 1 like they did with Apex/Warzone and get eyes on it.

Iā€™ll be all in on battlepasses for this if done right. Iā€™m curious if they may offer discounts on the battlepass and cosmetic store for game pass ultimate subscribers like EA does in Apex for Access users?

I donā€™t think it would be wise to have standard cross-play for Halo, if Iā€™m being honest. You donā€™t want to alienate your original Xbox fans, who are the reason the franchise is alive.

Maybe enable cross-play for private matches or particular modes.

Making Halo Infinite F2P for multiplayer offers chances and risks. Youā€™ll be able to reach a much larger userbase (especially on PC), but youā€™ll also need ways to monetize. My guess is theyā€™ll add a battlepass to Game Pass Ultimate (using the perks system) and look at other Warzone for their monetization.

But heyā€¦ maybe weā€™ll see a flossing Master Chief.

Iā€™m fairly certain weā€™ll get crossplay - theyā€™re adding it to MCC in the next update, theyā€™ve said itā€™ll be input based matchmaking though.

1 Like

Oh, thatā€™s the best solution.

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed Nickmercs, Cloakzy and the others playing Halo 3 every night are all using controllers. Cloakzy took awhile to adjust as he hasnā€™t used one in awhile, but they all feel Halo plays best on controller over m+kb. Curious if this continues for them in Infinite.

Yeah, also wonder if the competetive scene will remain controller focused, or if theyā€™ll split it.