14 minutes of fresh gameplay for The Medium, coming out January 28th. EDIT : The video is available!

Exactly !

Can you elaborate on what you mean by “resources”? They have over 100 employees, last I checked.

It doesn’t need to be a AAA game to look like something that takes advantage of next gen features. Scorn looks infinitely better and is made by a single person.

The animations, textures, lighting, all look pretty bad.

They didn’t have a budget AAA game, and they decided to focus on other aspects like the dual world. Not everything needs to be mind-blowingly good. And no this nowhere near bad like you are making it to be.

The degree to how bad it looks is a personal viewpoint, so you can really tell me my opinion is invalid.

You’d think a game MS pushed would help justify the purchase of a next gen console, but seems this game continues the trend of games not looking much better than Xbox One games, if at all. And its the first Next-Gen only game. It looking not great is extremely disappointing to me and just gets thrown on to the pile of Series X games that don’t look good.

Again, might just be the trade off for rendering two worlds. I’ll concede to that.

Imagine comparing the beginning of a generation with unoptimized tools with a game made with a small budget, a AA game, and then making assumptions about the rest of the generation and other AAA games. You are right, this is a bad take if I ever saw one. The game doesn’t look bad, there is even the use of elements of Ray-Tracing.

I can’t wait for it. I’m hyped only because of those Silent Hill influences.

Yup, game looks really good if you ask me.

1 Like

That’s everything here. There aren’t many games that do this (in fact I can’t think of any) and for good reason.

This is far more complex than, say, split-screen in a couch multiplayer game, or VR experiences because you’re not dealing with the same assets across both screens. You’re essentially rendering two different games at once.

So right off the bat your texture budget is halved. I imagine they’re shared geometry between both sides but there are probably things unique to either side, so you’re going to need some memory dedicated to unique objects on both. This applies to enemies and what have you. So you’re almost halving the memory available to you for each scene.

There’s really nothing else to compare this to so it’s hard to say whether it’s done well or not. It’s alot like when Grand Theft Auto III first came out and some people were comparing it to Gran Turismo claiming that it fell short and looked horrible. Well the game was doing something completely different than GT. It wasn’t until GTA had peers in the genre where you can actually make a comparison.

2 Likes

Ahh this looks amazing… and I probably won’t play it :pleading_face:

1 Like

This looks awesome! I’m going to play this day 1

1 Like

From what I’ve gathered even geometry wise it’s 2 distinct worlds, objects and chars. Even the ones that do appear on both (like the main char) has a different model.

Lighting is also really good and fully dynamic, to a degree not even many of the biggest AAA of this gen are.

I really don’t get the complains. It was never supposed to be a graphical power house.

1 Like

Exactly, the marketing has always been about the dual world, and that seems pretty good. In terms of graphic, it is pretty good for their budget.

Not hugely into horror games but I am willing to give it a chance because it’s in game pass haha. The game looks nice!

Did people literally just miss the disclaimer stating that this was not the final product, or was I imagining things? Besides that, it still looked good! The frames and textures will be improved upon release no doubt. Cant wait for this one. I caught the SH and AW vibes too. Im excited to buy this.

It looks like madden game. Play it to enjoy cinematic horror. Looks good.

This is incredible! I can’t believe this is rendered a the same time! And the way the scene plays out at the same moment is really intriguing. The suspense showed in the video is also what I like in those kind of games. Can’t wait! And I can’t believe I won’t have to pay for it!

2 Likes

Ok then I think this is a first in videogame history, barring an indie title I’m not aware of (a lot of indie games do out-of-the-box stuff before anyone else).

That’s mind-blowing and yeah so far it’s in a league of its own.

Yeah, it’s very unique, at least I don’t recall ever seeing something like that.

Even physics wise. You can see that on the real world there’s a wind blowing her jacket for example, but on the spirit world it’s most static and her jacket is only affected by her own movements.

(Though the jacket wobbling in the real world ended up a bit exaggerated XD)

Didn’t get any Alan Wake vibes, and honestly not a ton of Silent Hill vibes either. However, it looks GREAT and tbh exceeded my expectations. They had been showing kinda the same lil area for a long time now and they finally showed small snippets at the end of other environments. Those looked great! This just jumped up a peg visually for me. :smiley:

I felt the 2 worlds thing might be a gimmick but the IGN preview of this same part of the game said when interacting with it it actually feels extra engaging, even in cinematic moments with little character control. I can see what they mean now, if you are looking back n forth at both worlds at once to maybe take in scenic storytelling simultaneously.

Yeah I didn’t see any Alan Wake in there too so I dunno what that was about from the IGN preview…in fact the overall presentation with the “fixed” camera angles (really happy to see them back) and the hide and seek/stalker sections reminded me of Haunting Ground more than anything else.

Also graphically and especially art direction wise the game looks awesome, the dual scenes are also really really cool and look more than a simple gimmick. Can’t wait to play this game!

Bloober is one of these studios very promising that could punch above their weight, and with more funding could get really high. I’m looking forward to Medium !